Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

Kuna Lacrosse Receives First Stick Program Award

edited September 2013 in Open Forum

imageKuna Lacrosse Receives First Stick Program Award

US Lacrosse recently announced the recipients of its annual First Stick Program Award, and for the second straight year an Idaho organization has been selected. Kuna Middle School's new program, headed up by former Bishop Kelly coach Blake Gaudet, was announced as one of the recipients. We caught up with Blake to find out more about the award, and the effort to move lacrosse out to the small community of Kuna.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Kevin RowenKevin Rowen LAS Editorial Intern SoCal
    edited September 2013
    "If you try to field a high school team full of kids who don’t have any experience, you’re not going to see much success. I think losing early and often at the high school level is a good way to make sure the student body loses interest in your program. By starting at the middle school, we can teach kids the basics in an environment where their athleticism alone will help them be at least moderately successful, and once we have a solid base of players with experience, we can create a high school program."

That is great insight, and I think he describes a flaw that many up and coming programs run into. Starting at the high school level will lead to a much more difficult battle.
    Post edited by Kevin Rowen on
    LaxAllStarsdybarra17
  • I found this out the hard way. In 2005 I was asked to take over a first year high school program that had no middle school feeder. I loved those kids, but man was it tough to be competitive, and therefore tough to recruit.