Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

School Bans Lacrosse Balls, And Other Dangerous Sports Equipment

edited October 2013 in Open Forum

imageSchool Bans Lacrosse Balls, And Other Dangerous Sports Equipment

A Long Island middle school has banned "footballs, baseballs, lacrosse balls, or anything that might hurt someone on school grounds" during recess, and of course the issue is pedantically being painted in black and white, where the sides are lining up, diametrically opposed, and making their myopic, stultifying cases.

Read the full story here

Comments

• scearleyscearley Cascadia
    edited October 2013
    I was thinking about fighting in lacrosse again this morning and this article shows up, making me realize that these problems are somewhat parallel.

At least in a large, metaphoric sense.

Solutions require a hardline response to demand the actors (box players and spectators in the one case, and students, families, and lawyers on the other) shut up and deal with the new "rules" as they're handed down. Which of course sits well with nobody because they see their rights/freedoms/etc being curtailed, because as things are now each individual thinks their position must not only be heard but also made the dominant paradigm. And in some cases that's correct, in some cases that's the way to do things.

I can already tell that I'll easily put together a 10k+ word paper I should more likely hammer out and submit to a journal. So I'll stop and try to make my point short:

The immediate solution to make things better (in both cases, actually), is that the immediate short-term effects of a new way of doing things (stop fighting, stop your lawsuits, stop your budget slashes) is to make things worse (instigation, inability to legally respond in situations with just deserts, immediate increase in general cost) in ways that make the general population really mad about the way things are. Good solutions for both require that things get worse before they get better, and nobody's equipped with the patience and long-term goals to allow it to happen.

And speaking to the pro-active stance: I'm pretty sure I've mentioned this in previous topic threads. In the lacrosse-specific method, the idea is to go out of your way to visit anyone who promotes lacrosse. (I realize I'm getting off-topic here, please stay with me) Anytime a local business puts ads in lacrosse, visit them and tell them that you're there specifically because they advertised during lacrosse. Because they bought ad space in the program. Because you saw their name on the jersey. This grows money put into lacrosse.

NOW - to tie it back into Connor's point: you have to do this with everything. If you want the schools to do the right thing, and you're so sure you know what the right thing is, YOU GO TAKE PART IN THE SCHOOL. You go there and do the right thing. You don't have to coach. You can put together a week of lacrosse instruction, and write the PE teacher and tell them what you have. You can take part in PTA even when you aren't a parent. They don't check up on this, nor should they. The school is part of your community, it is your neighborhood.

Don't put your money where your mouth is. Put your deeds where your heart is.
    Post edited by scearley on