Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

Hot Pot: How To Spend 10,000 Hours

edited October 2013 in Open Forum

imageHot Pot: How To Spend 10,000 Hours

The 10,000 hour rule is an interesting concept. Malcolm Gladwell raised the idea a number of times in the book Outliers, and the theory basically states than any "master" of a particular discipline has put in at least 10,000 hours of dedicated work to learn and perfect their skill set within that discipline. While the exact number of hours is still up for debate, and further statistical analysis is needed, I am confident that the overall point stands: The truly…

Read the full story here

Billy Nguyen

Comments

• Great stuff Connor! Always love to start warmups for our team with 10,000 hours, great little motivator.
    Billy NguyenKevin Rowen
  • As a youth coach I find myself wondering what is the best way. As a father of a youth player I question myself and what/how I pass the game on to my son. I have been a one handed player, I was never coached until High school, I picked up a stick when I was young and used it how it felt natural. Connor made a great point about available time to practice something, we live in a fast paced world with a lot of various time commitments, less time to practice,concentrate on your strong hand or both? One more point, people say that I have one hand but in reality I use both hands, they just have different jobs, I have things that I can do on the field with my left that I can't do with my right/dominate hand. the more I think about it, the more I lean towards wanting a kid that can do ANYTHING you ask him to do with his dominate hand.
    Billy NguyenKevin Rowen
  • I really like these types of posts about putting in work. You guys should keep pumping them out
  • jackmishjackmish Durham, NC
    edited October 2013
    I put in hundreds of hours over the summer because I wanted to improve as much as possible. I play wall ball and shoot an hour a day on my own each. I have an hour and a half practice after school 4 days a week for offseason and a two hour practice or tournament on weekend. I also coach kids for two hours saturdays and do an additional couple hours volunteer work. I lift during my free periods during school and get around 8 hours sleep with around 2-3 hours homework a night.

I'm not saying that everyone should do this. Sometimes I don't get a day to lift, and sometimes I don't have time to do wall ball, but I put in work when I can. Plus I string an average of 5-10 sticks a week. For me, finding time to work whenever possible is what helps. I take a 20 minute break from homework to jam to some music and do some wallball. I think working both hands for the 10,000 hours is what you should strive for. But don't get sad if you miss a goal you set for yourself.

Most people when they set goals really are setting expectations, make sure you don't make that mistake, otherwise you'll be unhappy with what progress you made. Don't expect 20 hours on the wall with your left will make every pass perfect, it will make it better, realize that. I had a good right hand last year, I had one of the more reliable dominant hands on the team last year, I was consistent. My left suffered from forgetting about it, I've been playing catch up since I didn't start until 8th grade. I'm now into my sophmore year and my coach has had me say at nine mans a couple and the coaching I do with him for kids my wallball routine because he admires my work ethic and told me it paid off.

My dad heard about the 10,000 hours concept when I was little and told me about it. He has me commit to it through my academic as much as possible and when I got serious about it, it paid off. I realized this last year freshman year and I put it into my game, again it paid its dividends. Time=Progress, I don't believe in practice makes perfect, I believe in practice makes confidence and competence. When we practice breakouts and I end up behind and I have to make that redirect, I do it with my left hand and it goes in my teammates stick. When a freshman or someone says whoa. I don't smirk or get cocky, I pull them aside later and tell practice makes progress and get back to work. I hope my experience helps.
    Post edited by jackmish on