Conditioning in the off season for high school lax

I'm looking for a good conditioning program for my 14 year old son who is gonna play JV?

Comments

• conlax14conlax14 Milford, MA
    one of the best things for pure conditioning is another sport. Wrestling is great for that, but also if the school offers indoor track, his legs will be in great shape by the time lax season rolls around.
  • I'm doing a mix of indoor track and weight lifting the high bursts of speed done in certain track events correspond well to the need acceleration inside of lacrosse. Also weight lifting to build mass never hurts.
  • When conditioning it's important to have a variety. Essentially the idea is to stress out your lungs and heart to get used to the increased activity. A mixture of short sprints (wind sprints, suicides, etc.) at a high intensity and long jogs (a few miles, maybe one or two miles to start) will condition you faster than lifting weights. Lifting weights is crucial to being a better athlete though and stronger legs will make you faster. Hope this helped!
    upstatedyes.com
    Elevate your game!
    Check us out on Instagram
    taschemb
  • While at the gym this morning, I overheard an interesting conversation that reminded me of this thread and an important fitness lesson I learned years ago. The conversion went some thing like this, "I don't like when the holiday season comes around because I hate taking time off from the gym" one man said, to which the other replied "I only take time off when I get hurt".

Not if he gets hurt, when he does. Now, both of these men are in good shape and are knowledgeable about weight training. However, they are both making one very common and detrimental mistake: over-training. The logic is sound; the more you work out, the stronger you will get, right? Wrong.

While it is important to vary your workouts, train hard, and eat healthy, many people are missing the 4th key to good fitness: resting your body. The truth is that muscles grow and develop for several days after they are stressed, but only if they are rested. Adequate rest is also needed to prevent injuries; injuries that sometimes never fully heal.

I compare over-training to picking at a scab on your skin. Each time you lift a weight your muscle fibers are actually damaged! Just like any other injury, it will take some time for your body to heal. When the muscle fibers are repaired over then next several days, they grow back larger (hence gaining muscle mass). If the muscle is stressed before it can adequately repair itself, it never grows and strength is never gained. Stressing a muscle before it heals is just like picking at a scab. If you continue, the wound will never heal!

The solution is pretty simple. Workout each muscle roughly once a week. You should be able to accomplish this by lifting weights 3 (4 max if needed) days a week, for about 45 minutes to an hour each day. Then, every 8 to 10 weeks, take an entire week off from exercising. (Don't worry, you can still play wall-ball!) If at any time your muscles are still sore, it is because they are still healing. Do not "tough it out" and workout anyway. Wait until your body is ready.

I used to workout 6 to 7 days a week, and hit every muscle group 2 to 3 times a week. It wasn't until I dropped down to 3 days a week, hitting everything once a week, that I saw significant gains. Less really is more sometimes!

I know that was a lot, but I hope it helps.
  • jackmishjackmish Durham, NC
    edited December 2013
    Yeah even though I'm a lot younger and definitely have a lot less experience in the gym than @scriff, I can verify the necessity of rest. When I first started lifting I was a freshman last year and I was the smallest guy on the team, I weighed a little over a 100 pounds and almost 15 years old. About a year and a half later, I weigh around 130 and recently turned 16. Part of this is the fact that I've grown 3 inches in that year, and part of it is the fact I took the time to research what I needed to gain muscle.

I have a weight training coach at my school that just arrived last year and he has helped me a lot. I lift every other day during a free period or after nine-mans and take a two day rest after every 3 workouts. When I first started lifting with little to no instruction, I had little results, I did a lot of biceps and stuff like that, lifted almost every other day. But once our coach showed me what to do I slowed down and started focusing on the more important exercises, like bench, squat, deadlift, and a lot of explosion exercises. I still do workouts with other muscles in my body like biceps, but one of the ways you can gain more mass is if you hit a major muscle group in your workout, after its completely rested, it will release more of the hormone in your body that helps rebuild the muscle since it has to rebuild a bigger muscle. Chest and Legs are great for that. Rest and patience are the two most important things I use when it comes to lifting, and eating, eating right helps a lot.
    Post edited by jackmish on
    #stringyourown

Grow the Game
    scriff