Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

How to choose a stick for new player

Hopefully, this is the appropriate thread for this, it's my first post. I'm trying to figure out the best combo for my 10 yr old, who is playing for the first time. What I have a hard time is balancing a good wide head that is easy to catch with, and a narrower throat that holds the ball better. Seems like a new player needs both, but obviously, you can't have both, so where's the balance.

Secondly, mesh. Soft mesh vs hard, pockets high, mid, low, Etc.

Maybe I'm over thinking it, but being in South Carolina, I don't have many experienced players to guide me.
scriff

Comments

• Well for starters, it is NOT necessary to spend a ton of money, especially for a youth player. There are plenty of "starter kits" that will provide you with just about everything you need to get going. (http://www.lax.com/starter-kits).

I would definitely opt for a wider head. Wider heads not only allow for easier catching, but allow the ball to release from the head easier as well, which is needed to learn how to throw. As far as the pocket goes, I believe most starter kits come with sticks that have soft mesh already strung in them. That should do the trick for a while. I would also suggest a relatively shallow pocket and low pocket. If the pocket gets too deep or high, it becomes very difficult to throw with, and can cause a player to develop bad technique.

As a youth coach, (currently 8th graders in the spring, but have coached as young as 3rd graders) I only allow my players to use universally legal heads (legal for use in high school and college, the widest available). I also do not allow them to put "u" or "v" shooting strings, for fear of them having a pocket with too much whip (a pocket that holds on to the ball and throws low).

I hope this helps. Good luck to you and your son. I hope you guys enjoy lacrosse as much I do!
    kdonaldconlax14stringershack
  • That's very helpful, especially in regards to the pocket and shooting string. I was thinking the u or v would help lessen the whip. He has mostly been using an AV8u. When he got it, the whip was really bad. I re-did the shooting strings and, despite my ignorance, was able to improve it. The pocket is low and very deep. I debated moving the bottom string up a row or two on the pocket so it wasn't so deep, but I didn't want to mess w/ it too much, given my limited knowledge. Thanks again, he is loving it, as am I.
    scriffMark Donahuejamesmharris
  • they are harder to find now but a Blade 2.0 in my opinion is a excellent head for a young player. Wide catching area but with the flair of the sidewalls they still have good ball retention. This was my sons first head with soft mesh.
    Michael AllenMark Donahuekdonald
  • thestringer7thestringer7 big rapids, mi
    I would also recommend possibly a warrior evo or evo 2. big wide face shape perfect for the player just starting out and learning how to catch and throw.
  • Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID
    I would suggest any starter stick to get the basics down. Since he is only 10, you don't have to really worry about head specification. I would highly suggest looking into these sticks and just picking out one of the many cheap complete sticks they have on this site: lacrossemonkey.com/complete-attack-sticks.html
    Once you figure out what position your son is going to play, then you can start focusing on the head, shaft, and pocket. Don't worry about finding the best stick out there because it doesn't exist. Every player uses different heads, shafts, and pockets to fit their playing style. As he gets older, he'll find out what works for him and then you two will really have lots of fun picking out new gear.
  • pagano92pagano92 Ontario, Canada
    if you don't mind spending a little extra money to get a stick that he can use for probably quite awhile, Kyle Harrison released his K18 head and shaft line which is actually set towards beginners even though he uses the shaft in some of his LXM pro games. but I think personally its better to spend a little more when it comes to lacrosse sticks because they will be better and last longer. and if its his first time a low whip pocket for sure, maybe mid/low ish
    scriff
  • Personally I don't think that the type of stick head or mesh affect much at a youth level I played with a warrior outlaw (look it up)for four years and saw no problem other than it began to crack but that was after four seasons. To me the best two things you could do would be 1 make sure that the top string is as tight as possiple and 2 break in the mesh properly
    kdonald
  • pandapanda Waxhaw NC
    id reccomend an stx viper 2 or a gait torque 3 with soft mesh