Busting Rule Myths in NFHS and NCAA Boys Lacrosse

edited November 2013 in Rules & Officiating
imageBusting Rule Myths in NFHS and NCAA Boys Lacrosse

You hear really strange rule interpretations when working as a traveling lacrosse official. I listen to the most incorrect explanations of what the current lacrosse rules are at every level I officiate and every region I do games in. In this post I cover what I consider the Top 10 Rule Myths in NFHS and NCAA Boys Lacrosse and I bust those myths using the 2013 rulebooks for each respective level.

Read the full story here

Post edited by Mark Donahue on

Comments

• Myth #7- I believe English and International Rules allow for a "Nominated Defender" specifically to serve any goalie penalties for the same reason, that most teams in other places do not have a backup goalie or equipment. The same allowance could (should?) be used in high school in developing areas for the same reason in the interest of keeping the game moving.
    scriffMark Donahuextremelax1nylonflows
  • Mark DonahueMark Donahue Video King! Boise, ID
    Typically when the situation occurs, as an official, I go to both coaches and make sure that having the in-home serve is acceptable. I like the idea of removing a defender, since the goalie was the one committing the foul. Even in less developed areas, a lot of times a team has a backup, but due to lack of multiple sets of equipment, and sometime time restrictions, we bend the rules a little if the coaches are OK with it!
  • This is awesome! As a coach and official I've run into every single situation "myth" you describe.
    One more myth I experienced recently is when a shot goes wide and the ball is tipped by someone before going out of bounds, that the ball is awarded to the team who did not touch the ball last.
    I had to explain to a coach that after a shot, as long as there is no possession of the ball, possession still goes the person closest to the ball at the time it goes out of bounds, regardless of who touched the ball last.
    The myth I most frequently run into is the goalie and/or coach yelling about goalie interference when clamping the ball outside the crease. I feel like I had to explain that rule in every other youth game this fall.
    Mark Donahue
  • Thank you for clarifying #5 for me ! I'm ashamed to say I am one of those face off guys that basically has to rip a shot to get the ball out of the back of my head. I always assumed that it was a one move thing. Great help, keep up the good work!
  • edited November 2013
    I'm glad you are all enjoying this article! It was tough to narrow down to just ten, but I felt those were the rule myths I run into the most over the course of any given year.

rwall007 & Mark Donahue - I like that idea of removing a defender. I may implement that in the youth league I help run for the spring as they rarely have a back up goalie ready to go.

dbicker - The infamous tipped/deflected shot! Definitely a good one, and most players don't even realize they still get the ball if they were the one to tip it out. As far as goalie possession on the clamp outside the crease I can't tell you how many times I've told players, coaches, parents that possession means a player can "carry, cradle, pass, or shoot." You can't do any of those with your stick clamped on top of the ball.

xtremelax1 - #5 is one of the most incorrectly applied rules. I've seen it officiated almost half a dozen different ways. This is where it is helpful to approach the officials prior to the game, let them know you are the face off player, and ask them how they interpret the rule. Then you can adjust your face off moves to suit the crew.
    Post edited by Gordon Corsetti on
    Mark Donahue
  • Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID
    Thanks for clearing up a lot of confusion. Fall ball definitely showed that the rule changes are a huge pain and the rules aren't as clear as people think. This definitely helps out a lot.
    #YoteFam
    #GrowTheGame
    #StringYourOwn
    #StringItForward

College of Idaho Lacrosse
    Midfield
    Class of 2015
  • nylonflowsnylonflows Groningen, Netherlands
    Lacrosse in Europe does indeed still use Myth #7 allowing the in-home to serve the penalty for a goalie as goalies are a rare breed here and there are not many teams that have a back-up goalie on the sidelines. Quite often you see teams that barely make the 10 player minimum, often playing with only one or two subs who, in that case, are most commonly midfielders.
  • Rydensaur said:

Thanks for clearing up a lot of confusion. Fall ball definitely showed that the rule changes are a huge pain and the rules aren't as clear as people think. This definitely helps out a lot.

- Rydensaur, check out my association's YouTube channel at: http://www.youtube.com/gloawebmaster. I've got a lot of videos up of various technical and personal fouls, as well as referee instruction. I think the videos liven up the rulebook.

Lacrosse in Europe does indeed still use Myth #7 allowing the in-home to serve the penalty for a goalie as goalies are a rare breed here and there are not many teams that have a back-up goalie on the sidelines. Quite often you see teams that barely make the 10 player minimum, often playing with only one or two subs who, in that case, are most commonly midfielders.

- nylonflows, what rulebook does European lacrosse go by? Do you go by FIL rules or another set? I'd love to know and see what the major differences are.
  • Thank you for this, Wish I was aware of myth 4 when I was an active keeper! Countless "goals" have been called that weren't. Including a playoff ending run at plano east senior high...
  • nylonflowsnylonflows Groningen, Netherlands
    Gordon, we use the FIL rulebook mostly, but have a few amended rules (more agreements within the organization), simply because of logistics. We try to stick to FIL rules whenever we can.
  • Gordon, we use the FIL rulebook mostly, but have a few amended rules (more agreements within the organization), simply because of logistics. We try to stick to FIL rules whenever we can.

-nylonflows, thanks for the heads up on that!
  • gosu33 said:

Thank you for this, Wish I was aware of myth 4 when I was an active keeper! Countless "goals" have been called that weren't. Including a playoff ending run at plano east senior high...

-gosu33, unfortunately incorrect calls happen even with an officiating crew's best efforts. Developing areas have the issue of lack of bodies, and a lack of experienced officials to train new officials. For important games all the officials on the game should know the rules well, but quality assignors will usually put a "rules guy" on the crew. The "rules guy" practically has the rulebook memorized for the one or two weird situations that tend to show up in big games.