MCLA AQs 2014?

Looking at the LSA Pre-season polls:

1. Sam Houston
2. St. Edwards
3. Stephen F. Austin
4. Tulsa
5. Tulane
6. Texas A&M - Corpus Christi

Looks like LSA will be without the AQ in DII this season. Judging by laxpower's "Job Vacancy" postings, TAMU - Galveston, Abilene Christian University, and Incarnate Word were all trying to put together teams for LSA DII but none we added, wonder why...

On the flip side, it appears as though WCLL DII will be getting an AQ this spring:

1. HUMBOLDT STATE
2. NEVADA
3. ST. MARY'S
4. UC SANTA CRUZ
5. SIERRA NEVADA
6. SAN JOSE STATE
7. PACIFIC
8. CSU, MONTEREY BAY

Nevada and SJSU don't count for their AQ, but they finally appear to have 6 teams again.

I for one am pretty interested to see who comes out of the WCLL, with a potential home field advantage at nationals.
All opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.

Comments

• The SLC will have the most home field advantage
    Jim Henry, U.P. / PNCLL fan
    Kevin Rowen
  • socolax2socolax2 CT's finest
    True. Us right coasters will have 0 advantages, ha ha ha.
  • edited November 2013
    Home field advantage will play no role. It is nice to see the WCLL got back in when the tournament has moved so close to home, but it does not affect the rest of the field in the least. The SLC will have one team(Concordia), the WCLL will have one team (all but certainly in the teens when seeding comes), the RMLC will throw out a subpar Fort Lewis or UNC to fill out the teen seedings as well, and even WOU coming down the coast out of the PNCLL is not a real threat--especially not Day 2 or beyond.

Given that UST and SJU are the closest title contenders, sitting about 1500 miles away from the OC each, with only about a 30-minute head start in flight time from Grove City and Grand Valley State (which rounds out the--barring injury--guaranteed final four this year), the OC will serve as a great neutral site for the biggest games. Concordia could sneak in, since this year will be the best chance they've ever had. However, since they're something like 0-9 against top 10 teams and have never made it past the first round of the tournament, I wouldn't bother booking hotel nights beyond Wednesday if I wasn't UST, SJU, GVSU, or GC. Those teams will still have to work and earn it, but the rest of the field will be one step or several more down from their talent.
    Post edited by god2 on
  • Qualifiers, Conference
    1 SLC
    1 WCLL
    1 PNCLL
    1 GRLC
    1 RMLC
    2 SELC
    2 PCLL
    3 UMLL
    4 CCLA
  • First off congrats to the WCLL for continuing to grow the game in Northern California and Nevada.

Chiming in on what others are saying, I don't see much of a home field advantage for D2 teams this year in Cali. As @ilikelax pointed out only Concordia from the SLC will most likely make the tournament and they seem to play just as hard at home and away. What should be mentioned though is that no teams will be at a specific disadvantage compared to years past. With all teams travelling west, everyone is gaining hours, so instead of west coast teams playing first round games at a 7am body clock, east coast teams will be playing games at a 1pm body clock in the first round.
    I wonder if Sam Houston will play a rigorous OOC schedule this year, with no AQ and such a dramatic loss of talent (losing half of your team 7 players off of a 15 man roster, 191 goals scored by seniors out of 257 total.)

Honestly, I am excited for this coming season and can't wait for the forums discussion to pick back up!
  • From what Ive heard Sierra Nevada will have a probationary year before the WCLL gets the AQ. But with the AQ this should turn into one of the more competitive conferences over the next few years. There are 5 teams at the top that are all pretty even talent wise. Hopefully that can eventually make them a little more relevant nationally but they may be a few years away from that.
    Dan Podesta
    Saint Mary's Lacrosse President- 2010-2011
    Saint Mary's Lacrosse Vice President- 2008-2010
    http://www.stmarys-ca.edu/club-sports/
    ilikelax said:

Qualifiers, Conference
    1 SLC
    1 WCLL
    1 PNCLL
    1 GRLC
    1 RMLC
    2 SELC
    2 PCLL
    3 UMLL
    4 CCLA

I can tell you, the PCLL is scheduling aggressively this season, with Briarcliffe, Coast Guard, SCSU, CCSU, and Stonehill all taking trips to play ranked OOC.
    smclax33 said:

From what Ive heard Sierra Nevada will have a probationary year before the WCLL gets the AQ. But with the AQ this should turn into one of the more competitive conferences over the next few years. There are 5 teams at the top that are all pretty even talent wise. Hopefully that can eventually make them a little more relevant nationally but they may be a few years away from that.

I don't follow you here. Do you mean they won't be official members of the MCLA/WCLL until 2015?

If this is the case, I am curious to find out which conference would take an extra AL bid.
  • socolax2 said:

I don't follow you here. Do you mean they won't be official members of the MCLA/WCLL until 2015?

If this is the case, I am curious to find out which conference would take an extra AL bid.

Im not 100% knowledgable on the situation but I was told that the WCLL didnt get the AQ because Sierra Nevada wasnt eligible for postseason play or all american voting until next season. That, to me, says that this is an MCLA rule. Im not sure if they are eligible for WCLL playoffs or awards like Nevada and San Jose State.

If this year plays out like last year did Id say that an extra SELC team or maybe a PNCLL team will grab that AL but you never know.

Dan Podesta
    Saint Mary's Lacrosse President- 2010-2011
    Saint Mary's Lacrosse Vice President- 2008-2010
    http://www.stmarys-ca.edu/club-sports/
  • Heard from Mr. Dave Franklin's twitter that the UMLC does not get an AQ as well. Regardless - i think they'll be a 3 team conference, so i don't think it shakes a whole lot up.
    William Sigmund III
    Grove City College Lacrosse - Assistant Coach
    william.sigmund@grovecitylacrosse.com
    412-478-5727

Opinions are my own unless otherwise noted.
  • smclax33 said:

socolax2 said:

Im not 100% knowledgable on the situation but I was told that the WCLL didnt get the AQ because Sierra Nevada wasnt eligible for postseason play or all american voting until next season. That, to me, says that this is an MCLA rule. Im not sure if they are eligible for WCLL playoffs or awards like Nevada and San Jose State.

If this year plays out like last year did Id say that an extra SELC team or maybe a PNCLL team will grab that AL but you never know.

The WCLL does indeed get their AQ this season. The conference has 6 eligible MCLA members with the inclusion of Sierra Nevada Although Sierra Nevada is not eligible to participate in the WCLL playoffs as a developing member, they will be full MCLA members and thus could qualify for an MCLA At-Large berth should they meet the minimal MCLA requirements for an AL bid.

Gary Podesta
    MCLA Director of Competition
    Gary Podesta
    MCLA Director of Competition
    chriscurtis