Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

Hot Pot: How Can Lacrosse “Never Punt”?

edited November 2013 in Open Forum

imageHot Pot: How Can Lacrosse “Never Punt”?

Grantland recently ran a feature video on Kevin Kelley and Pulaski Academy football team because of their "no punt" approach to the game. The team only does onside kick attempts, and always goes for it on fourth down. It's not a tactic bred out of desperation or insanity either, instead it is born from mathematics, and a willingness to look at the game in a brand new way. Could this approach be useful in lacrosse?

Read the full story here

Comments

• conlax14conlax14 Milford, MA
    I like the idea behind long poles on offense being an equivalent. That would certainly play games with the defensive strategy (who covers them?). Regarding your zone comment, someone, at some point in the D1 level will become the lacrosse version of Jim Boeheim's 2-3 zone. You know they'll run that exact zone 100% of the time, the players are recruited for it...so beat it somehow.

I think a great parallel though to the no punt idea is to stand an attackman on the endline and just let the shots fly from a dodge or pick top center. Always aim for pipes since you have automatic backup. Leave 1 attack on the crease for rebounds off the goalie and the other 4 are all high in constant motion, which reduces the chances of a fast break ever going the other way. If you get 80 shots a game and only score 20%, you'll be in most games. Get the right goalie matchup and the scores could skyrocket.
    rushlacrosse
  • socolax2socolax2 CT's finest
    A high school in Connecticut leaves an attackman at X during a clear, and lets his players shoot from the midfield (looking to miss the goal) as a means of clearing the ball to X since the players lack the necessary ball skills to transition the ball consistently.
    scrifftonyperkisKevin Rowen
  • I would love to see what could be done with non offset heads now, is it the next big thing? Not too long ago I strung a trad X in a STX Sniper, I forgot how quick a stick can be. I could see them being very good for some players.
  • socolax2socolax2 CT's finest
    I have a friend who uses an old sniper on a katana. quick release, feel of an offset head. I had a similar idea by taking a brine M1 and sticking it on the debeer triax shaft. Those things can really release it quickly.
  • That shot-clear thing is genius, do the refs ever call it a pass? In middle school our goalie would throw the ball as far as he could up-field almost every time he got it, and we won the championship. I bet if you got a really accurate goalie and cleared a spot on the offensive side of the field by having all 3 attackmen stand on one side and throw it to the other, and the goalie hit the spot, you could get an attackman to pick it up and have an easy clear, even in high school or college. I might have to try this with my middle school team. (Gainesville Lacrosse Association is awesome, they let us high schoolers coach the middle school teams that play in their league because I guess they don't wanna pay coaches. It really has helped my lax IQ I think)
  • thestringer7thestringer7 big rapids, mi
    We used to do the shot-clear thing on our home field. We knew at one end of the field the grass would grow a lot taller then the other parts of the field so no matter how hard you threw the ball from the other end of the field, it would get stopped before it hit the endline. Then we would just have our attackman beat the defense and goalie to the ball and set up while the middies got down the field. Worked perfect for awhile.

P.S. we didn't play on the best of fields. pretty much the practice football fields is all we had since we weren't affiliated with the high school. The grass would get cut a few days before games and would just grow like crazy in the one end allowing us to do that haha. #homefieldadvantage
  • conlax14 said:

I like the idea behind long poles on offense being an equivalent. That would certainly play games with the defensive strategy (who covers them?). Regarding your zone comment, someone, at some point in the D1 level will become the lacrosse version of Jim Boeheim's 2-3 zone. You know they'll run that exact zone 100% of the time, the players are recruited for it...so beat it somehow.

I think a great parallel though to the no punt idea is to stand an attackman on the endline and just let the shots fly from a dodge or pick top center. Always aim for pipes since you have automatic backup. Leave 1 attack on the crease for rebounds off the goalie and the other 4 are all high in constant motion, which reduces the chances of a fast break ever going the other way. If you get 80 shots a game and only score 20%, you'll be in most games. Get the right goalie matchup and the scores could skyrocket.

I was reading the "Myth Busted" thread earlier about some of the misconceptions of the rules of the game, and came across the rule of who gets the ball on the shot. Sitting a single man on the end line will be super effective at getting those balls back and making the clear easier, but it isn't who is closest to the end line who gets the ball, it is whoever is closest to the ball at the time that it goes out of bounds. Love this thread, gets you thinking. My favorite is the idea about the long pole attack man, might have to mention that one to my coach!