Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

Bye Bye Hamilton Nationals

So whats the deal? The MLL is bringing a team to Florida and taking all of the Hamilton National players AND THEN, the Hamilton Nationals are no more just like that? Did the Nationals just not produce up there enough? I'd think a lacrosse team could flourish more up there in Hamilton compared to anywhere in Florida. What do you guys think? laxallstars.com/good-bye-canada-florida-gets-an-mll-team/
Mark Donahue

Comments

• Mark DonahueMark Donahue Video King! Boise, ID
    My only input: Rochester moved to Hamilton and then the Rattlers came back the same season. This is my only insight/hope toward keeping a team in Canada. Maybe it's just a suspension of operations for the year, I don't know, but they were careful about not writing that the Nationals are dead, they are just not participating?!? Hamilton isn't one of Canada's hottest markets, but there is a ton of lax in the area. I have to disagree though, Florida lacrosse has been popping and the people have demanded it!
    "MLL has also announced that the Hamilton Nationals will not participate in the 2014 season, keeping the league at eight teams for 2014. The club’s 23-man roster will make up the foundation of the Florida Launch."
  • thestringer7thestringer7 big rapids, mi
    Good point. But why would they only suspend them for one year? I guess I just don't see the point behind that. And on the point of popularity, I just see Hamilton as more of a lacrosse community compared to Florida. But, the All Star game in Florida did pull a great deal of people in so maybe I'm way off the mark and it will do great there. Who knows. We'll just have to wait and see.
  • Kevin RowenKevin Rowen LAS Editorial Intern SoCal
    Saw something on Twitter today about a new MLS stadium in the Hamilton area being built that will be ready for Summer 2015. Maybe the MLL has a deal to use that new facility and is waiting it out until it's ready? Just a thought.
    stingraysrb
  • thestringer7thestringer7 big rapids, mi
    Huh. That could be a good possibility. Just like Mark pointed out with the Rattlers when they were "moved" and a team played there that season, they could be taking a year off for that. I don't see why they would take the year off for just that though? Unless they couldn't get a deal or something for where they were playing before. Kinda hoping they do that so there is at least one team in Canada.
  • Inside Lacrosse has to be loving this news. To me they seem to be oh so anti Hamilton and Canadian. What role is this going to play on the guys who play MSL and OLA summer ball too? Are they going to just not play in the MLL this summer a la Colin Doyle? I honestly can't see Styres just saying oh well lets shut the team down, no way no how. What about Rochester? They play in a baseball stadium and obviously don't have it together from a managerial stand point. Was this something that the league forced? Also I wonder if all the travel that the Canucks will be doing might play a role in the 2014 world championships? Just sayin', and I do not like this one bit, looks like Ohio is going to be my new MLL hot spot to go see games. Rant Over, Thanks boys.
    scriffthestringer7conlax14Mark Donahue
  • conlax14conlax14 Milford, MA
    I wouldn't say IL is loving this, but Quint sure is and was certainly quick to tweet it out too. Also the Rattlers play in a soccer stadium owned by the Rochester Rhinos, not the baseball stadium down the road (anymore). The Rhinos group definitely doesn't give much priority to the lax side of things, but we can only home the money makes sense to keep a team there and hopefully they'll build a fan base without the marketing push at first.