Hot Pot: Is Texas Going D1?

edited November 2013 in MCLA Division I
imageHot Pot: Is Texas Going D1?

Both CollegeCrosse.com and The Growth Blog have made mention of the University of Texas possibly going D1 in men's lacrosse at some ambiguous point in the future. Why is this story coming up now? Because the UT blog, Orangebloods.com, said that it's possible, that's why!

Read the full story here

Comments

• This is definitely a possiblity. The University of Texas/Austin,TX market is unlike any other market in the State. While some will argue that Texas is a football state and the UT is a football school, and both are true, UT does offer the additional pieces and culture to support D1 lacrosse. Recently, they completed a facility that has a lacrosse dedicated field. The student culture, though assumably football fanatics have more pride in school than football, especially with this years record. Also, one day on the campus and you can see and feel the diversity that would be very welcoming of D1 Lacrosse. From a financial standpoint, UT supposedly operates on the largest athletic budget in the NCAA, which most is definitely sent in the direction of football, but none of the other sports are lacking by any means. The biggest piece to this is that UT has long been absent in groundbreaking one-upsmanship within the big D1 schools in the South. This would one up everyone in Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, and even Alabama; and would in theory one up Florida.

Why would a college player want to play at UT... in Texas?!?! The "younger" version of myself can throw out a couple of phrases to easily squash that debate: 6th Street, Austin City Limits, SXSW, and did I mention 6th Street? All these play directly towards the stereotype of the lacrosse bro (that we can't seem to get rid of).

just a thought....
    Josh "Chewy" Acut
    LAS, Contributor
    Philippines LAX, Founder
    The GTL Tour: Grow Texas Lacrosse, Head Honcho
    Twitter: @LiveWithChewy
    Mark Donahuestringershack
  • That would be so awesome. Could you imagine the Oklahoma and Texas rivalry expanding to lacrosse?
  • it would be a pretty easy transition. they already have a pretty decent men's team that plays MCLA lacrosse in the lodestar alliance. They finished 11th overall behind oregon, colorado, colorado state, BYU, Arizona state and a couple of other salty teams. I hear the women's program is pretty good as well.
  • I'll believe it when I see it. I envision a school like SMU going before the horns. I'll be on the customizers in the meantime....
  • jackb2016jackb2016 Milford, Ma
    I think it would be awsome if Texas got a lacrosse team. It would be huge for the sport as another Bcs school addin a team and expanding the college game to a non traditional area like texas