Mythbusters: Lacrosse Curve Ball Shot

edited December 2013 in Entertainment
imageMythbusters: Lacrosse Curve Ball Shot

Welcome back to another installment of LaxAllStars' Lacrosse Mythbusters! We look at interesting or confounding questions within lacrosse, talk to experts, and try to provide some clarity. In the past, we've asked if eye black really works, and found it does. We also wondered if traditional pockets were heavier than mesh pockets. Now we're back and curious about the concept of the curve ball lacrosse shot!

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID
    This is awesome. I would love to see more videos like this in the future on a regular basis. You can definitely get any ball to curve as long as you have the right amount of force and spin on the ball. Your pocket and shooting style have a lot to do with it. If you can create a channel that adds a ton of spin on the ball as it releases and t's coming out at the right point you can definitely curve your shot every time.
    #YoteFam
    #GrowTheGame
    #StringYourOwn
    #StringItForward

College of Idaho Lacrosse
    Midfield
    Class of 2015
    Connor Wilson
  • Rydensaur said:

This is awesome. I would love to see more videos like this in the future on a regular basis. You can definitely get any ball to curve as long as you have the right amount of force and spin on the ball. Your pocket and shooting style have a lot to do with it. If you can create a channel that adds a ton of spin on the ball as it releases and t's coming out at the right point you can definitely curve your shot every time.

I used a 2 leather pita with thick leathers in the middle and tight channel. The more I got the ball to spin off the shooters, the more it curved. Science be praised!

Content Editor - LaxAllStars.com
    you can reach me through info@lacrosseallstars.com
    scriffRyan Mulvaney
  • I think the curve was more from gravity. You guys need to get more sauce on those shots!!! ;-)
    Connor Wilson
  • moserjohn said:

I think the curve was more from gravity. You guys need to get more sauce on those shots!!! ;-)

ha! did you see the one go R to L at the `1:12 mark? It's about the spin, and not just the velocity!

Content Editor - LaxAllStars.com
    you can reach me through info@lacrosseallstars.com
    Connor Wilson
  • I noticed this w/ my son, from an early age, when I would use a mitt to play catch w/ him. Even when he isn't throwing particularly hard there will often be a noticeable if not HUGE break to the ball. Sometimes sinker-like, sometimes a curve. It's definitely there, but not something he does on purpose (at least not that he admits to ....)
    Connor WilsonRyan Mulvaney
  • conlax14conlax14 Milford, MA
    You should toss a women's string kit into a head to see what the effect is with an MLL ball. I have no idea of the legality of those pockets in the men's game, but the rubber/plastic channels they use could provide an interesting element to consider if you do this again.
    Connor WilsonjackmishRyan MulvaneyMichael Allen
  • I used to take super long range shots against a gym wall and the ball would curve a ton. Especially when I manipulated the shot with my hand and wrist motion. Although, I wouldn't recommend making a habit out of it cause it really kills your wrists.