Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

Epoch Releases Their New Hawk Head

edited December 2013 in Gear Talk
imageEpoch Releases Their New Hawk Head

Epoch Lacrosse has released five generations of lacrosse shafts and today they release their first ever lacrosse head in The Hawk. Epoch developed this head in conjunction with Flip Naumburg of Vail, CSU, Rock-it-Pocket, and offset head technology fame. The head is something truly different, and I have been fortunate enough to play with a couple of recent prototypes.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID
    I need to get my hands on one of those. I love high pockets! This is definitely a head that will pave the way for new gear designs in the future.
  • jackmishjackmish Durham, NC
    I love the idea of being specific to one type of pocket, especially a high pocket, one of the least common pockets. You always see people asking what type of position you can use a head for, but I love being pocket specific. I can't wait to see what else they come out with.
    Michael Allen
  • Rydensaur said:

I need to get my hands on one of those. I love high pockets! This is definitely a head that will pave the way for new gear designs in the future.

jackmish said:

I love the idea of being specific to one type of pocket, especially a high pocket, one of the least common pockets. You always see people asking what type of position you can use a head for, but I love being pocket specific. I can't wait to see what else they come out with.

Thank you guys. Please let us know what you think after you get a change to play with it. We can offer some stringing tips to. Happy Holidays. - Team Epoch
    Michael Allen
  • The article credit's Flip Naumburg with offset head technology, but Flip help create the curved head, not the offset head. Based on patent law, Flip and Dave Morrow (Warrior) created the "scooped lacrosse head", which per United States Patent 5,568,925 is "a lacrosse head having an open frame with sidewalls that curve continuously from the base to the lip of the frame so as to define a curved scoop-like frame geometry when viewed in side elevation." Bill Brine (Brine and Cascade) and James Dill created the offset head per United States Patent 5,651,549, which focuses on the "specified relationship between the plane defined by the uppermost surface of the stick element, taken at its forward end, relative to the location of the center of gravity of the head."
    rushlacrosse
  • @ekeown The Cobra was the first head to drop the ball below what was considered flat. You are correct in the patent terminology sense though. So... good point. But the Cobra was first, right? I tend to give some credit there for offset in general. Multiple people can invent the same thing, just in slightly different ways.

the term offset even describes women's sticks that recurve back to flat. Technically, it's not used right (so I updated it, thank you!) but don't we describe all laid back, offset, curved, etc heads now as offset? Not trying to say you're wrong... curious to hear your response!
    LaxAllStarsekeown
  • @Connor Wilson I agree, and I should have put that in my comment and I don't know why I didn't. Without the Cobra (it was first) and possibly the Diablo which came after the Cobra, but I believe before Brine's Edge, we probably would not have had the Brine style offset, or at least not so quickly. I don't doubt for a second that Brine was inspired by what Flip and Dave had created. They may or may not have thought "how can we make it better", but they definitely thought "how can we have a similar concept and not infringe on the patent" (which would have been pending at the time). Flip is definitely an innovator that started a trend that changed lacrosse heads forever, regardless of semantics or patents.

In describing lacrosse heads, offset by definition is "an abrupt change in the dimension or profile of an object", which to me would not represent a curved head specifically because of the word "abrupt". That said I can understand people using the term generically to describe any head isn't straight (Onset? The term will catch on, I promise!). I guess I base my usage of offset on the same nuances that made the heads not infringe on patents as well as the marketing terms used by the manufacture to describe them. I'll stick to men's lacrosse, and heads of the late 90s to mid 00s as that would be my prime for equipment knowledge, and the only time three "different" but similarly purposed concepts competed with each other.

The original warrior heads like the Cobra and the Diablo were curved heads, later they switched to the traditional straight (fine, onset) heads, and finally they just started patent licensing to have offset heads. Brine's heads are offset and they have a range of offset, their first offset heads, like the Edge and the Warp, started right at the top of the throat and that style is full offset, later you had heads like the original Cyber and the Motive where it was still offset but further down the head. Regardless of full or partial offset, you still had a sudden change in the profile of the sidewall that remained consistent after the change. As for STX, well their first non-onset (see, I told you it would catch on!) head, the Raptor was curved, and infringed on Flip's patent, but their next, the Octane, introduced their forward cant design. It looks like a more gradual offset, similar to something like the Cyber, but after the change, the path of the sidewall profile is very slightly angled upward, getting around the Brine patent. When they were sued due to how closely the concept was to Brine's offset, STX simply increased the incline on the forward cant by 1 degree or so; this was the difference between the Proton and the Proton Plus.

In the grand scheme of things, the concept of curved heads didn't last very long in Men's lacrosse, but they definitely were key to starting a significant change in the design of head.

Michael Allen
  • edited December 2013
    It will be interesting to see if this is the start of a move towards more heads becoming very specific to a certain type of pocket. We do see that certain heads are used by certain kinds of players in the game today i.e attackmen heads, middie heads, defensive heads. But maybe we'll start seeing these heads being designed around the pockets themselves as well as by position. I love that Epoch is pushing the envelope and looking for ways to innovate the gear we use. Definite contenders in the gear market.
    Post edited by triggertrav on