Making the Grade: Comparing, Ranking and Grading MCLA Schedules

edited January 5 in MCLA Water Cooler

imageMaking the Grade: Comparing, Ranking and Grading MCLA Schedules

Leading in to the 2014 MCLA season we will be breaking down and grading the schedules for every conference and the teams in each division starting Monday Jan. 6th with LSA DII.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID
    So excited to see what everyone thinks about the schedules
    #YoteFam
    #GrowTheGame
    #StringYourOwn
    #StringItForward

College of Idaho Lacrosse
    Midfield
    Class of 2015
    Mark Donahue
  • socolax2socolax2 CT's finest
    I love reading these, I can't wait to see the PCLL one, though I am disappointed that it doesn't release until mid Feb.
    All opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
  • I love this series. B I do have one complaint, I don't like that D2 opponents seem to get a SOS bump for playing D1 teams. Yes the D1 games are more serious than say a scrimmage but for D2 teams they amount to the same thing. No poll voter or post season committee is looking at those results. The LSA D2 schedule grades are a good example.

Sam Houston State the reigning LSA Goliath gets a B for their schedule? They play 4 D1 opponents, take those away and what your left with is 5 games against conference opponents and only one is "on the road" 2 hours away. I wouldn't even call that a passing grade for a schedule.

I think you look at St. Eds (behind SHSU) they got an accurate grade at B- for leaving Texas to play an OOC slate but the inflation of SHSU's grade makes them look bad.
  • Mark DonahueMark Donahue Video King! Boise, ID
    @chriscurtis @socolax2 Great points! Sorry the PCLL doesn't release until later, we tried to get a bunch of conferences that start early out of the way first, stay tuned! I understand your points about D1 and their comparison to scrimmages. The truth is, it does count toward their record and wins can speak volumes about a teams progress. We do boost the grade a little for D2 taking on many D1 squads, but the same can be true for D1 squads taking on the best of D2.
    Ryan Mulvaney
  • socolax2socolax2 CT's finest
    I have to agree with CC here, as a voter for the national poll I can tell you we do not consider D1-D2 crossover games in rankings whatsoever (and are instructed not to.)

The PCLL starts up right with the other conferences, with Boston College scheduled for games at the end of Janurary and SCSU, and Briarcliffe playing in the beginning of Feb.

Not to nitpick but I am also disappointed in the spelling mistakes and grammar issues in the LSA D1 and D2 postings. I feel as though LAS is one of the leading websites in MCLA content (right behind the MCLA.us site itself) and those kinds of things lower the view on our league as "just club."
    All opinions are my own unless otherwise stated.
  • Man I feel like a jerk commenting negatively so much on this series because I think its a great idea.

Would have loved to have seen the guys putting the SLC schedule together just realize that certain missing games will be played no matter what. For example on Fullerton's schedule it says "the schedule might be a cake walk unless they face Concordia." Come on guys of course they face Concordia they are in the same conference group. All SLC South teams will face each other. Sure the real shame should fall to CSUF and/or Concordia or the SLC CD for not getting the game into the MCLA site almost a month past the deadline, but still that's sort of a gimme.
    @chriscurtis We know! There's only so much we can do, we assume that they will happen but until it's published we are trying not to guess but to go on what is actually on MCLA.us. The bigger conferences and D1 are a little more organized, we are doing our best with the information available. Love the criticism!
    Ryan Mulvaney
    @socolax2 We compare the two divisions to base the grade, which reflects the overall schedule. If we didn't consider D1 to D2 crossover then essentially we would be doing the same thing as the National poll which we are trying to provide something that is different.
    Ryan Mulvaney
  • Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID
    @chriscurtis It's not really a gimme. The schedules on the MCLA site are constantly being updated with new games being added and other games being taken down. I put together all the schedules over the first week they were released and I had to go through and make sure all the schedules were accurate before I submitted them. We're doing our best to go off of the hard data instead of assuming certain games are going to take place. Thanks for the feedback.
    #YoteFam
    #GrowTheGame
    #StringYourOwn
    #StringItForward

College of Idaho Lacrosse
    Midfield
    Class of 2015