Good to Know

I've been working the weights lately and have been doing to usual benching, squats, skull crushers, bicep curls, shoulder workouts and more, but I had an idea. I do a lot of 1 on 1s with my teammates, and am getting hit hard and it hurts, so I came to the question, "What muscles should I work, so it won't hurt when I take hits?" I found that I mostly get hit in the area between the elbow pads and the shoulder pads, so I did some research on the arm muscles and some workouts to help getting hit here not hurt so much. image Here the muscle we are talking about is called the Brachialis. Some workouts to gain muscle here (which obviously will make it so it doesn't hurt so much to get hit) are hammer curls, short grip curls, standing cambered bar curls, etc. This is only one muscle, but since this is a thread, you can all post! Some muscles to discuss are your shoulders, around your collar bone, chest, abs, and the kidney area. Relate them all to how they will help protect you from the pain of a good check. Thanks
stickmanlax

Comments

• Mark DonahueMark Donahue Video King! Boise, ID
    This is awesome! As a long pole I never think of stuff like this! I hope other attackmen out there have some good ideas how to bulk up your arms to help absorb the impact.
  • This is awesome! As a long pole I never think of stuff like this! I hope other attackmen out there have some good ideas how to bulk up your arms to help absorb the impact.

Exactly, I thought this would help other players. It could also help defenders so they know where to hit us attackmen ;)
    Michael Allen
  • Mark DonahueMark Donahue Video King! Boise, ID
    We've reached out to some big name companies that should be answering your question on the site here soon! We love that you brought it up because now we can find out how the pros beef up their arms! @rushlacrosse
    Michael Allen
  • We've reached out to some big name companies that should be answering your question on the site here soon! We love that you brought it up because now we can find out how the pros beef up their arms! @rushlacrosse

Awesome, can't wait to find out!
  • Newest contribution: After the first month of practice, I'm beginning to find bruises in odd places, but I'll post those later. This week I'm going to discuss wrists. When looking at padding in lacrosse, you have a small gap between the shoulders and the elbow pads (which was discussed earlier) and a gap between the elbow pads and the gloves. image As many players know, getting hit in the wrist is very painful, and can be a huge asset to your lacrosse career. This year while playing box lacrosse, I was hit on my wrist, and it broke! So I couldn't play for 9 weeks, until I was fully recovered, which as you all know is tragic especially if you are looking to improve your game in the off season. Paul Rabil is one of many players that have very think and strong forearms, which not only decrease chance in injury, but increase shot speed. image

Some exercises for bulking up the wrists and forearm areas:

Wrist Curls
    Reverse Wrist Curls
    Wrist Rolls
    Wrist Rotations
    Rice Digs

--------------------------------------------
    Thanks to Bodybuilding.com for the workouts.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/md55.htm