Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

Diversity in lacrosse

I am a black lacrosse player who has only been playing for three years, but has grown to love the game more than any. Although i love the game and work hard at it everyday it is discouraging to see the sport growing so much, yet seeing the lack of diversity still being an issue. When I heard about the Sankofa alliance i though it was amazing and encouraging to see that there was so much excellence able to take the field together. So I guess I'm just curious if anyone has any ideas how to further spread diversity in this great sport.

Comments

• There are some great, albeit small, operations in the NYC area that do a great job of introducing lacrosse to non-traditional lacrosse neighborhoods. @connorwilson does much for this cause. I have also been fortunate enough to have been involved to a small degree with LEAPs lacrosse, run by John Christmas, whose goal is to spread the game to everyone. I think as time goes on, and these local organizations pick up steam and black players become more visible, that the diversity will improve..

It is also important for those of us currently playing, to make any effort we can to grow the game. We can do many things, such as donate some time coaching, donating sticks/equipment, or just promote the game to anyone who listen through casual interaction. You, as a person who is black and plays lacrosse, have a more crucial role in adding diversity. You will be/are a role for model for younger black players who may one day want to follow in your footsteps. Do not take this responsibility lightly.
    Mark Donahuetkkawugule8stickmanlaxspanishsprings52198
  • I would love to hear any other thoughts or commentary if peopke have any
  • I think it is great. I am a mutt of sorts when it comes down to it. The creators game is ment for people of all colors, sizes and different physical abillitys. Personally have only met two African American lacrosse players one of which was a second string defenseman for the Denver outlaws, the other plays for a local high school and is just a bad ass. In the spirit of Martin Luther king Jr day I will quote him " with this faith we will be able to work together, pray together, struggle together, go to jail together to stand up for freedom together, knowing that we will be free one day. This will be the day that all of gods children will be able to sing with new meaning ' my country tis of thee, sweet land of liberty, of thee I sing. Land where my fathers died, land of the pilgrims pride from every mountain side, let freedom ring ' " and with this freedom let us play lacrosse.

BUILDING A TRADITION
    tkkawugule8