Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

coaching u11

This is a hard age group to coach because they have shorter attention spans than u15 or even u13 I need more drills to run to keep them interested
stringershack

Comments

• I have found the best thing to do is to have stations and move smaller groups through the stations. I have been coaching this age group for about 3 years and have developed a good amount of drills and practice plans, let me know if you would like to talk about it more.
    scriffbrimfulldfonge
  • @spanishsprings52198, you are totally right! Coaching the younger guys is very difficult for a lot of reasons. I have coached teams as young as 3rd and 4th grade (8 and 9 year olds). It's a lot of fun, but they can certainly test your patience. Coaching the little guys was once described to me as "like trying to herd cats!". That has always resonated with me.

I agree with @stringershack. I think it can also help to make a game out of drills. A lot of the kids will put in a better effort if there is some type of competition involved. They can be as simple as relay races, or counting the number of passes without a drop. Anything to keep them engaged is an improvement.

One thing I also did that seemed to work was awarding one or two players after each practice with a prize if they were the "practice all star". You make it up and decide who gets the prize. I kept my prizes lacrosse related. Often shorts, LAS stickers, etc.
    stringershackbrimfulldfonge
  • jackmishjackmish Durham, NC
    I coach a variety of ages for Rival Lacrosse, a local set of teams that my coach runs, and he has a lot of the guys on the teams help out on the weekends and we run summer camps as well. Its best to make a game out of stuff like @scriff said and keep drills groups smaller as @stringershack said. Games resonate with kids more because they enjoy them more if there is a sense of competition.

Keep away with trying to get a certain number of passes without a drop helps and another is a good ground ball drill. Line all the kids up and make them throw a ball over their back, take away a few and make it a game to be last guy standing. Helps breed competition before keep away. Just an idea.
    stringershackbrimfull
  • one game that I use is ultimate lacrosse, think ultimate Frisbee rules and apply them to a lacrosse game, the kids have to move off ball because the person with the ball can't move. I have to credit Greg Rose with this one.
    scriffbrimfulldfonge
  • brimfullbrimfull Whitby, Ontario.
    Hi Guys, I agree with all that has been said here. From how difficult it can be with this age group keeping them focused, to keeping the drills broken into small 5-10 minute manageable stations.

Couple thing I try is always have one fun drill at the end of the practice. Be it a sharp shooter hitting water balloons or Soda bottles or maybe a trick shot competition. Keep it fun, make them want to come to practice. Give out stupid dollar store prizes Little sunglasses or candy bars. $17 can go a long way..

Another thing I always do with my young teams is debrief after games. What did we do well? What do we need to work on?
    Then remind them when we are practicing these are the things they them selves said we need to work on.
    Lastly get help if you haven't pull in some Varsity kids or Dads to help run the drills keep them fast and help keep the kids focused.
    Good Luck and Have fun
    scriffstringershack
  • Thanks for the ideas they will come in handy

BUILDING A TRADITION