Knives and Lighters in lacrosse bags at school

thestringer7thestringer7 big rapids, mi
Well after reading this I'm appalled at how ignorant some people can be, and also feeling a bit lucky that my bag was never searched when I brought it to the high school. I mean honestly I had the bag in the main office half the time, with a knife and lighter in it at all times. And I'm sure that half my team did too. Well, for all of you still in high school, I'd be careful just in case something like this ever occurs to you. washingtonpost.com/local/education/discipline-case-of-md-lacrosse-players-moves-to-federal-court/2014/01/20/76f055a6-747a-11e3-8b3f-b1666705ca3b_story.html?hpid=z6

Comments

• That's crazy. It never occurred to me that this could happen. I always have a lighter and a leatherman in my lacrosse bag. I even keep a leatherman in my desk at work. They just come in hand so often that I figured it would be good to have one available.

While it is totally rediculous to be punished for having a leatherman, it's even crazier to me to be punished for having a lighter. Is there a rule against lighter possession?
  • thestringer7thestringer7 big rapids, mi
    The only reason for the lighter being an issue is possibly smoking on school grounds? Other then that I can't think of any other logical reason that the school would act on that. I'm just glad it never happened to me aha. @scriff
  • jackmishjackmish Durham, NC
    My school so far has been lax with my lighter and knife. My coaches and athletic trainers know I have one and my strength coach does as well due to the fact I string in the gym during free period after lifting sometimes. I don't know how any teachers at my school would react though, this will make me a little more cautious. Though I do think its rather silly and other than preventing smoking I can't see a reason for not allowing lighters on campus.
    #stringyourown

Grow the Game
  • Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID
    My HS was pretty strict on knives and lighters (going to HS in Chicago doesn't allow for much freedom). There was a zero tolerance rule and if you were caught you got suspended on the spot. I know there might be a lot of confusion as to why lighters aren't allowed, but I have a pretty realistic answer: arson. There were multiple times where the school had to be cleared out because someone started a fire in a garbage can in the bathroom. Knives are considered weapons, pretty obvious why they wouldn't be allowed in schools. It's hard to see things from the standpoint of the school because we are used to having these things with us as tools of our trade. To the rest of the world, they are seen as a threat to safety. It's hard to say it's ok for one group of kids to have them in school but punish the rest. I do think the school went a little too far, but in a time where mass shootings in schools have been increasing, school officials are always thinking safety first.
    #YoteFam
    #GrowTheGame
    #StringYourOwn
    #StringItForward

College of Idaho Lacrosse
    Midfield
    Class of 2015
    stringershackMark Donahue
  • thestringer7thestringer7 big rapids, mi
    I can get that. I suppose from where I went to high school compared to most others is different. The worst thing that ever happened was a drug bust. But we still had all the same rules with knives and lighters. We had a few times where they had to be enforced but they never went crazy with it like this school did.
  • pandapanda Waxhaw NC
    i keep a flame less lighter in my bag and usually otf/box cutter knife but are bags stay in the longer room and our coaches stress that
  • Mark DonahueMark Donahue Video King! Boise, ID
    @panda What's your experience with flameless lighters? I saw one in the convenience store yesterday and was intrigued by it. Are they against most school policy? Does the string melt on to them and ruin them or does it work like a charm? Any one have any thoughts?
  • pandapanda Waxhaw NC
    @Mark Donahue there great they melt the string great and it wont be too hot so you wont burn your fingers, also since there's no open flame you can use them outside when its windy they also last longer because they can be charged with a usb cable
  • pandapanda Waxhaw NC
    panda said:

@MarkDonahue there great they melt the string great and it wont be too hot so you wont burn your fingers, also since there's no open flame you can use them outside when its windy they also last longer because they can be charged with a usb cable