Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

MCLA D2 Top 15 Games & Spreads for 2/18-2/23

#3 Grove City vs. #14 Briarcliffe
#6 Concordia @ San Diego (-11)
#9 SCAD vs. #13 FGCU (+8)
#9 SCAD vs. #12 Elon
#10 PBA vs. Georgia Southern (+5)
#11 Western Oregon vs. Humboldt State (+8)
#13 FGCU @ Coastal Carolina (+2)
#15 CSU Fullerton @ Occidental (-5)

(Spreads based on Lax Power Computer Rankings)
Jeff Brunelle

Comments

• socolax2socolax2 CT's finest
    Would have preferred you go all the way to top 25 but these are games I will be very interested in.
  • Here is the rest of the top 25:

#16 Dayton @ Kentucky (-4)
    #16 Dayton @ Purdue
    #17 Sam Houston State vs. Tulane (+1)
    #17 Sam Houston State vs. Tulsa (+6)
    #18 Portland vs. Humboldt State (+3)
    #19 St. Andrew vs. S. Connecticut State
    #21 Lindenwood-Belleville vs. Michigan-Dearborn
    #22 Gonzaga vs. Puget Sound
    My picks. Picks without explanation are just based on hunches and limited info.

#3 Grove City vs. #14 Briarcliffe
    Briarcliffe by 1 or 2. I think this is going to be closer than people think, and if BC loses I think would have more to do with lack of practice time with all of this snow, and them being new to each other with all the new faces.

Concordia.

SCAD seems to have reloaded, having someone transfer from The Ohio State University is always nice and he seems to be putting it together.

#9 SCAD vs. #12 Elon
    See above.

Despite the loss to SCAD, they bounce back.

WOU by 6 or 7.

Upset special numero uno, CC bounces back after their loss to Dayton to surprise FGCU who could be reeling from a SCAD loss.

Fullerton by a slim margin.

#16 Dayton @ Kentucky (-4)
    Dayton.

#16 Dayton @ Purdue
    Dayton.

#17 Sam Houston State vs. Tulane (+1)
    Tulane by 10 or more. Sam has 12 guys, and Tulane has some serious weapons.

#17 Sam Houston State vs. Tulsa (+6)
    Sam by 10 or more. Tulsa new program, Sam still has some talent despite short roster.

#18 Portland vs. Humboldt State (+3)
    Humboldt by 2. Another upset.

#19 St. Andrew vs. S. Connecticut State
    Obviously going for my Owls over the Knights, officially knocking SAU out of the top 25.

#21 Lindenwood-Belleville vs. Michigan-Dearborn
    LUB by 5.

#22 Gonzaga vs. Puget Sound
    Gonzaga in a rout.
    Kevin Rowen
  • Obviously going for my Owls over the Knights, officially knocking SAU out of the top 25.
    I think win or lose to SCSU it should be safe to assume that SAU is already knocked out of the top 25.
    edited February 20
    Not arguing that, I just meant that as: the week 1 poll is set to release Monday, and a loss to us would be the final nail in the coffin. :D

EDIT: St Andrew's lost their 2nd game last season to Georgia Southern after upsetting SCAD, and remained a top 25 team. They certainly will have more opportunities to prove their worth this season, with Indy Tech, TWC, FGCU, USCGA, PBA, Coastal Carolina, and SCAD all remaining on the schedule.
    Post edited by socolax2 on
  • bsigmund90bsigmund90 Grove City, PA
    Think no question that the games of the week are GCC vs BC ; SCAD vs. FGCU

GCC vs. BC - two new head coaches to the MCLA going for their first win. GCC reloads a lot on the offensive end. BC loses a lot but has an enigma of a freshman class with some very good lacrosse pedigree, and a big challenge in Michael Austin. John Austin as their OC could be an X factor. (i feel like i should watch some nationals games and a '12 delaware game to prepare for what they're going to do to us)

SCAD vs. FGCU - if SCAD wins they walk to the conference tournament - and that FGCU vs. PBA game in April becomes a huge game for the SELC and for the MCLA tournament. If FGCU knocks SCAD down, this conference subdivision gets all the more interesting. I think it's the tighest conference subdivision in the MCLA.

feel like both games are total toss-ups match-up wise. excellent early action in D2.
  • #3 Grove City vs. #14 Briarcliffe
    Don’t know much about the freshman class at Briarcliffe, but I can't pick a for-profit university to win a game. Grove City wins in a game neither team scores double digits in.

Concordia is on a down year, I think San Diego takes this one close

SCAD by the spread.

#9 SCAD vs. #12 Elon
    SCAD has shown they are a legitimate team this season, and Elon is untested. SCAD takes it.

PBA can’t play defense, Georgia Southern isn’t much better, expect a shootout and PBA taking it close.

Western Oregon has had Humboldt State’s number, expect this game to be no different at WOU tries their best to run up the score.

Coastal Carolina has been underappreciated over the years, I expect a strong push this season.

I like Occidental in this game, or Claremont is just that bad. Fullerton comes in unchallenged and that could have them coming out slow.
  • seataclax said:

Western Oregon has had Humboldt State’s number, expect this game to be no different at WOU tries their best to run up the score.

I'd love to hear you attempt to back up your take that Western Oregon will "try their best to run up the score."
  • Patton503 said:

seataclax said:

I'd love to hear you attempt to back up your take that Western Oregon will "try their best to run up the score."
    30 goals on the worst team in the PNCLL in 2013.
  • seataclax said:

Patton503 said:

seataclax said:

30 goals on the worst team in the PNCLL in 2013.
    Were you at that game? Did you talk to any PLU coaches or players? Or maybe you know the officials on that game? I'll wait until you do, and then you won't be saying Western Oregon ran anything up.

chriscurtis
  • Obviously based on old reputation of WOU program . New coaching regime that I have great respect for and expects MUCH more from their players and program. They will have ample opportunities to show their class in the next few months. Will, it is tough to overcome the past until you show that it is in the past. Good luck at HSU. SOU is looking forward to seeing you guys soon enough.
  • Obviously based on old reputation of WOU program . New coaching regime that I have great respect for and expects MUCH more from their players and program. They will have ample opportunities to show their class in the next few months. Will, it is tough to overcome the past until you show that it is in the past. Good luck at HSU. SOU is looking forward to seeing you guys soon enough.

Very kind words, thank you! This season we are coaching to respect the opponent, the refs, and each other. We accomplished that last Saturday, though I guess it is predictable that people will see that score and assume the worst.

Steve and I respect the hell out of Bubba and PLU, and we would never blatantly disrespect them or the game by running up the score. We spent the whole second quarter and second half looking for and receiving shot clocks from the officials, and when you see us play you'll quickly see that is not our style in the slightest.
  • SOU dominates Saint Marys tonite leading wire to wire, going away with a convincing 11-4 win.
    bsigmund90
  • bsigmund90bsigmund90 Grove City, PA
    Grove City beats Briarcliffe 13-5. Trailed early 1-0 but answered right away with 3 straight and never looked back.
  • @socolax2 Anyone going to post the score against SAU?

According to Twitter it was canceled.
    Complicated situation. Due to circumstances beyond our control, games a no-go. We are pursuing an alternative last minute OOC game as a result (as to not screw up the 2 OOC game minimum.)