Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

MCLA D2 Top 25 Games & Spreads for 3/4-3/10

#3 Grove City vs. Stonehill (PUSH)
#3 Grove City vs. #5 Elon (-3)
#5 Elon vs. Emmanuel (+6)
#6 Coast Guard vs. Rhode Island
#6 Coast Guard vs. #14 Palm Beach Atlantic (-5)
#6 Coast Guard vs. St Andrews (-1)
#7 Western Oregon vs. Western Washington (+1)
#8 North Dakota State vs. Missouri Baptist (+17)
#11 Cal State Fullerton vs. St. Mary’s College (+4)
#11 Cal State Fullerton vs. San Jose State (+10)
#13 Concordia vs. San Diego (+8)
#14 Palm Beach Atlantic vs. Stonehill (PUSH)
#15 Florida Gulf Coast vs. St Andrews (+6)
#20 Portland vs. #25 Southern Oregon (-3)
#21 Tennessee Wesleyan vs. St Andrews (+7)
#22 Fort Lewis vs. Colorado Mines (+2)
#22 Fort Lewis vs. Metropolitan State (+16)

(spreads from sportnumerics.com/mcla)

Comments

• NycholasNycholas Maryland
    #3 Grove City vs. Stonehill-Grove City
    #3 Grove City vs. #5 Elon (-3)-Elon
    #5 Elon vs. Emmanuel (+6)-Elon
    #6 Coast Guard vs. Rhode Island-Coast Guard
    #6 Coast Guard vs. #14 Palm Beach Atlantic (-5)-PBAU
    #6 Coast Guard vs. St Andrews (-1)-Coast Guard
    #7 Western Oregon vs. Western Washington (+1)-WOU, I am biased...very biased.
    #8 North Dakota State vs. Missouri Baptist (+17)-NDSU
    #11 Cal State Fullerton vs. St. Mary’s College (+4)-CSFU
    #11 Cal State Fullerton vs. San Jose State (+10)-CSFU
    #13 Concordia vs. San Diego (+8)-San Diego, German meaning...
    #14 Palm Beach Atlantic vs. Stonehill (PUSH)-PBAU
    #15 Florida Gulf Coast vs. St Andrews (+6)-FGCU
    #20 Portland vs. #25 Southern Oregon (-3)-SOU
    #21 Tennessee Wesleyan vs. St Andrews (+7)-TW
    #22 Fort Lewis vs. Colorado Mines (+2)-Fort Lewis
    #22 Fort Lewis vs. Metropolitan State (+16)-Fort Lewis

I wont presume to know enough about these teams to try and forecast margins of victory. I think the WOU/WWU game will be tight seeing as it is in Bellingham and this is one of the better rivalries the PNCLL has to offer. I am also pretty high on these Florida teams, they seem to be playing some pretty good lax in the SELC these days.
  • The SELC is impossible to figure out. First you've got SCAD coming out of the gate hot and taking down PBAU, then they lose to Elon, squeak by Reinhardt, and lose to TWC. Elon barely gets by App State but beats Indiana Tech. SCAD manages to beat FGCU who then goes on to beat #3 Grove City (who had beaten Pitt and Briarcliffe). Now TWC loses to St. Andrews who was previously winless. What the Hell... I swear they do this on purpose every year.
    I think between Elon and Coast Guard, whoever has the better upcoming weekend could jump to that #3 spot.
  • The SELC is certainly going to be entertaining to follow this year I don't think anybody saw the way this would play out by this time in the season. I am kinda interested to see how the SELC matches up with some great match ups with the CCLA for some OOC play. Scad, Elon and Kennesaw I believe are all playing Dayton and Indiana Tech I think St. Andrews already played both as well, but it will be interesting to see how the top teams in the SELC match up with some of the top teams in the CCLA.
    The next couple of weeks begins the meat of the season and should be some great lacrosse all around
  • sclax said:

I think between Elon and Coast Guard, whoever has the better upcoming weekend could jump to that #3 spot.

I would say that Coast Guard has the most to gain/lose this weekend. If they pull out wins against both PBA and SAU there is no reason they shouldn't jump to that top 3 spot. However, a loss to either team should drop them a couple spots down. I respect how Elon has played this year, they have beaten some very talented teams, but they are really tip-toeing the line right now with all their wins coming within five goals. Grove City and Emmanuel will be a good test to see where they are at.

On an unrelated note, I am interested to hear more about Justin McGinnis out of SCAD. I know he is averaging over 3 goals a game, but has disappeared completely for two games. Is the jump from NCAA to MCLA D2 more challenging than one would think? Yes, I am aware the talent level is much, much, much lower, but usually if you are in that situation one would assume that player used as a cog in the machine in the NCAA rather than the alpha on the team, then move to a program where your role as completely changed in the MCLA.
  • How is Nevada not ranked after beating 2 top 25 teams on the road this past weekend?
  • socolax2socolax2 CT's finest
    Because they're not allowed to be. They are supposed to be in D1.
  • edited March 6
    @socolax2 is losing a game to Reno treated the same as losing a game to a D1 team to the pollsters?‌
    Post edited by seataclax on
  • can someone clarify this situation? Why is UNR supposed to be a D1 program and if that is correct then what are the ramifications of being in D2 if you are supposed to be in D1? Are there other schools in MCLA D2 that are also supposed to be in D1? thanks for any explanation on this
  • My understanding is if you have a BCS football program at your university you fall under D-I requirements but are allowed to play in D-II and are not eligible for polls, qualify for national tournament play, or even count as a D-II program when AQ’s are considered. I believe it is just Tulsa, Tulane, UNR, and San Jose State are the one D-I programs playing down in D-II, this also means while the LSA and WCLL have enough teams playing in D-II to qualify for an AQ, they do not have enough defined D-II teams to get an AQ.
    socolax2chriscurtis
    @seataclax‌ correct.

@steveblair‌ Spot on.

The MCLA uses your football team's standing as a means of classifying division. As a result, UNR is stuck with no tourney aspirations.

@steveblair‌ now now, you're right more than twice a day I'd say
    steveblair
  • seataclax said:

@socolax2 is losing a game to Reno treated the same as losing a game to a D1 team to the pollsters?‌

Well, unless you are Concordia. In which case the pollsters will move you down 7 spots without even playing one game against a D2 opponent.
    chriscurtissocolax2
  • SOU takes Portland 13-11 in a hard fought back and forth game. Big win for the Raiders!
    Just saw on WOU's Twitter that they won 16-15 double OT. Looked like they were down two late and came back. Tough loss for WWU, however I would expect nothing less from these two teams. I expect more details Steve, Will and Chris.
  • nah13 said:

Just saw on WOU's Twitter that they won 16-15 double OT. Looked like they were down two late and came back. Tough loss for WWU, however I would expect nothing less from these two teams. I expect more details Steve, Will and Chris.

Western Washington played one heck of a game, shame that they get no love in the national rankings. They are an extremely talented team at all positions, including a Grand Canyon transfer in goal.

Crazy weather, crazy other things that I won't talk about (let's just say 6 on 6 didn't decide this game), game pushed off to 4PM because apparently rugby is more important, fans throwing beer on players (because of course), this game had it all.

We were lucky to get out alive let alone with a W.
  • bsigmund90bsigmund90 Grove City, PA
    Don't know what to make of the past week at sailfish, other than the fact that Dunk City and PBA can really ball on the offensive end.

Does uscga going 0-2 OOC effectively eliminate them from a postseason at-large bid? Does this make the PCLL a one team league for OC come May? Only potential for redemption for the PCLL seems to be Briarcliffe at Elon - assuming stonehill doesn't pull off the miracle and top PBA tonight.

What does Emmanuel taking Elon to the wire say about the SELC? It seems madness down there until late April.
  • bsigmund90bsigmund90 Grove City, PA
    I wouldn't want to be a poll voter this week, that's for sure
    chriscurtis
  • I know its not a top 25 game, but SCSU over Bridgewater State 9-6. Man, has it been a long time coming...

The PCLL is has been turned on its head this season. I think its anyone's conference at this point.
    steveblairsocolax2bsigmund90
    edited March 10
    Shocked by CG loss to SAU. Makes me even more disappointed we didn't get to play them, but I digress.

Saw Briarcliffe in person, they look legit. My guy above is right, PCLL has been turned on its head. Keep watch of New Haven, they've got a couple of kids from Long Island (Ward Melville and West Islip) playing for them, and they are quite disciplined.
    Post edited by socolax2 on
  • @Patton503‌ I made the trip north for this game to see the top teams in the NW only to come away with the impression those officials were out of their league. For a game of this importance and with this much talent the conference needs to find quality referees. IMO they were as poor as the idea to start a magazine during a climbing digital age.
    chriscurtis
  • Here is my attempt at a Top 25 Poll as of today.

#. Team D2 Record [Top 25] - Justification (read: pitiful excuses)

1. St. Thomas 2-0 [1-0] - I'm one for one on picks.
    2. St. Johns 2-0 [1-0] - Two for two (man this poll stuff is easy!)
    3. GVSU 1-2 [1-2] - Yay quality February losses...
    4. WOU 4-0 [1-0] - Here's where you say I'm a homer and don't know lacrosse.
    5. Dayton 3-0 [1-0] - I pick undefeated over quality loss here.
    6. NDSU 3-1 [0-1] - Big tests on the way for the Bison.
    7. Grove City 4-1 [3-1] - Don't blame me, blame FGCU.
    8. Elon 4-1 [2-1] - Do they intentionally limp past guys to boost SOS?
    9. SCAD 5-2 [2-2] - I'm running out of words but enter the SELC log jam.
    10. FGCU 4-1 [3-1] - Am I being too hard with the SCAD loss?
    11. PBA 4-2 [2-2] - Those poor scoreboard operators.
    12. Indiana Tech 1-1 [1-1] - Low expectations on their upcoming grind.
    13. Fullerton 3-0 [0-0] - Reclaiming the SLC throne?
    14. WWU 0-0 [0-1] - This team is good. Admin challenged but lacrosse good.
    15. St. Andrews 2-4 [2-3] - Still can't figure this team out.
    16. TWC 1-1 [1-1] - Another hard to sort SELC team.
    17. Gonzaga 3-0 [0-0] - Taking a month off from meaningful games...
    18. Kennesaw 3-0 [0-0] - Big weekend ahead.
    19. Concordia 2-0 [0-0] - Down because of turnover not the D1 losses.
    20. Briarcliffe 0-1 [0-1] - Still an unknown.
    21. Coast Guard 0-2 [0-2] - Quality loss gets harder when it is a top 5 loss.
    22. N Colorado 2-2 [0-2] - Fairly big gap between 21 and the rest.
    23. SOU 4-1 [0-0] - Clearly running out of options.
    24. Montana State 3-0 [0-0] - Still untested but there is promise.
    25. St. Marys 5-2 [0-2] - The five wins look nice but don't know how much staying power it has.
  • Patton503 said:

Crazy weather, crazy other things that I won't talk about (let's just say 6 on 6 didn't decide this game), game pushed off to 4PM because apparently rugby is more important, fans throwing beer on players (because of course), this game had it all.

We were lucky to get out alive let alone with a W.

Don’t forget about the peace keepers showing up late in the fourth!
    Such a tough field to rank. As of right The top two is clear. After that the rest of the top 15-20 is pretty hard to pick. I think the SELC should just be ranked 7th as a whole. I do think this year offers an opportunity for some real interesting games come tourny time. I think GCC is # 3 right now, based on good wins and who the loss came to. Lets face it, no one can seem to get a good handle on how these SELC teams will play from week to week. Below is my attempt but even I can see the holes in my own poll prediction.

1. St. Thomas
    2. St. Johns
    3. Grove City
    4. Elon-Cue rabble rabble
    5. FGCU
    6. NDSU
    7. WOU-I wish they played a better OOC.
    8. SCAD
    9. PBA
    10. Dayton-Will not be surprised if they continue to climb.
    11. GVSU-1-2 is 1-2.
    12. Indiana Tech
    13. C.S. Fullerton-Hey look Chris we match up.
    14. Kennesaw
    15. Missouri Valley-Here is where I lose all credibility but I feel as if this team will be the class of this conference.
    16. Gonzaga
    17. Coast Guard-We'll see how they recover.
    18. Briarcliffe
    19. Depaul
    20. Concordia
    21. TWC
    22. FLC
    23. SOU
    24. Sienna Heights
    25. Montana State

Just looking at it makes me hate it.

• @seataclax: I agree about the refs. I'm a WWU father, so I'm biased, of course ... but calling a change of possession and giving the ball back to WOU because of the fans with 2 minutes left in a 15-13 game was totally wrong. It was especially egregious because the WWU players had been trying to get the fans to behave, not encouraging their rowdiness.
  • @KenGoodman You mean the same fans that stepped onto the field three times, the same fans that poured a full container of beer on a WOU player, the same fans that were dropping f bombs as WOU fans, players, the officials and any woodland creature in earshot, the same fans who impeded the progress of a WOU player returning to the field of play?

Yeah egregious is the right word alright but what was egregious was that the refs let it go for 55 minutes and all that was awarded to WOU was one possession change.

Also...

because the WWU players had been trying to get the fans to behave, not encouraging their rowdiness.

False

CWULax21
  • @chriscurtis‌: Well, rather than get into a pissing match with you about what exactly happened at the game -- such as, the ref who had to warn the adult WOU fans within the first five minutes of the game for their abusive language and made both coaches come talk to all the fans -- let's just leave it at, "Now, you know how WWU feels when they have to play at WOU."

I don't know where you were standing, but I specifically recall Jacob Goodman and John Wettack coming over to the sideline and telling the WWU fans to calm down. I think, but I'm not sure, that there was another instance of a WWU player telling the fans to calm down. I don't remember any WOU player telling your fans to calm down.

The WWU players were NOT encouraging their fans to be rowdy: just a second's reflection should make one realize that that would have been counterproductive because of the risk of penalty, and WWU's players are not stupid.

There was a knot of obnoxious WWU fans. They were clustered in a 10-yard stretch of the sideline. I don't know about their impeding a WOU player, but I've seen a video of a WOU player charging the fans, and no penalty was called for that.

I also saw tripping and tackling by WOU players that weren't called. At best, the refs were barely competent.

I'm going to take the opportunity to piss a little bit more: When WWU scores a goal, they congratulate each other with fist bumps and maybe a one-pump fist and leave it at that; WOU players strut, pretend to pull off their jersey like a soccer player, run around waving their arms at the fans and a "No. 1" finger in the air, and generally grandstand. WOU might not generate so much enmity in the opposition's fans if they showed more sportsmanship.

Go ahead ... you can have the last word ... I'm not going to continue this conversation.
  • @KenGoodman Well since you've given me the last word I'll take it.

The officials made both team coaches warn their corrective fans adult or otherwise. It's funny you mention Goodman and Wettack, as it was Goodman who continued to prod his drunk classmates into jeering louder. While Wettack's eloquent speech of "You guys need to chill the F*** out" seemed to fall on deaf drunk ears. If you want to complain about calls not made I would say that one ranks up there as it was done right in front of an official that shall remain unnamed. No WOU player need to tell our fans to calm down because they weren't causing any problems.

You mention WWU players not being stupid which seems pretty biased considering they forgot to bring a scoreboard and stat book to a game, to me that says stupid.

As to a video of a "WOU player charging the fans" I would be curious as to what video software you are using to remove the lacrosse ball he was charging after and also maybe call into question why there were fans even within 6 yards of the sideline. Even in those wet field conditions I have complete game film showing that a WOU player did not leave the field onto the track (where WWU fans were told repeatedly to stand) for the entirety of the game.

Now that you have thoroughly pissed on yourself I hope ignoring that your own son was a bad sport, and blaming the refs for costing your son's team a game makes you feel better. Sadly I felt the game was a very high caliber game and while I agree that the officials were far from perfect don't think you can blame them as they were more than lenient to the point of favoring the home crowd.
    CWULax21
  • @chriscurtis: I do respond when you start making personal attacks agains me and my family. That said ...

Wow. Really?

Did I blame the refs for WWU's loss? Show me where I said that.

The WOU player charging the fans had fallen down out of bounds, got up, and then charged at the fans. I saw it on a video passed around by cell phone. Maybe that was when someone dumped (or spilled) beer on him -- if so, I can understand his reaction. But don't accuse me of doctoring videos.

Yeah, Jacob got a couple of penalties. So, what? I'm impressed that you could tell what he was saying to the fans: as far as I know, I was the only person who spent the entire game walking up and down the full length of the field -- I photograph the games -- and I never heard my son egging on the fans. Also, he plays attack, so half of the game, he wasn't even on the same end of the field as the obnoxious fans.

Jacob was a bad sport? If you want to talk about pissing on yourself, you just demonstrated how to do it when you call out a player by name with no details, no evidence, and for something his father said, not him. I could have made lots of negative comments by name about the WOU players, but I chose not to.

Thank you for showing how small you can be.