Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

New, hold advice?

Hey, I'm kind of new to stringing. I've been watching the Art of Stringing videos and I can now tweak my stick enough to keep it mosty consistent. However, I'm now kind of looking for some more advanced fixes to a few problems I'm having. A little background, I have played middie every year up until now in my senior year of high school, when I got switched to attack so I could start and have more playing time. I'm really enjoying it and adjusting, but I'm taking a major beating this season and so is my stick. At 5'8", I'm dodging against people twice my size and weight. The hard part for me is adjusting to my new stick. I have it strung up with a single U and two shooters, kind of the standard setup that I stuck with after having it strung up. Now I'm looking for a pocket and shooting string setup with much more hold so I can take a beating and not worry about the ball as much. I'm also just not getting enough feel for the ball or a consistent release all the time.

I'm not really experienced in stringing so I don't know if I'm asking for too much, but any tips on a setup that I could try out would be appreciated. It's a little discouraging for the ball to come flying out after a roll or bull dodge against these much bigger guys. I'd much rather keep it in my stick and rip a quick shot inside. I like to carry the ball in for my shot and use my body to create chances and it would be cool to string something up that will take the punishment with me.

Thanks for any help or guidance!

Comments

• conlax14conlax14 Milford, MA
    I'll toss in my two cents even though it's probably not what you're looking for or the most popular idea. My thought in reading this is you're looking at the wrong end of the stick. It sounds like you're trying to adapt your style to a new position and blaming the stick for not allowing it rather than adapting to the new position as a player. For example: If the size of the defenders is an issue, why are you trying to bull dodge them? Also, a proper roll dodge shouldn't depend on the size of the defender. You seem to have a stick that already works for you, I would focus more on positioning, angles and focus more on the cradling as well. That is often overlooked in the search for a black hole pocket.

That being said, I do not want to come of as someone that minimizes the importance of stringing. A good vs. bad pocket is huge, but there's no perfect pocket, it's whatever works for the player. You're obviously a good player, especially if your coach wants you on the field more. I just think that you should concentrate more on the lacrosse side of things and less on the stick.

Feel free to disagree...anyone else think I'm way off base?
    afrolaxer
  • thestringer7thestringer7 big rapids, mi
    I agree with the aspect of the dodging part and working on your own skills but I do partially disagree with the pocket part. That is a pretty big part in it, but its not the main issue here it seems like. I'm in the same situation right now in my first year of college, as my coach is trying to invert me more from middie to attack and dodging down low. I'm about the same size as you, and I'm slowly getting around the issues that you have now with dodging and such. If you're smaller then your defenseman, do not bull dodge! That's like trying to take down a building with a car instead of a wrecking ball. It just isn't going to work. Like @conlax14 said, work on your angles, and just get better at seeing the field. For example, my coach was working with me a few days back with dodging from X and he was explaining to me the idea of looking at what the sliding D-man is giving you when you beat the man at X. If he gives you the inside, you do a roll dodge and pepper the far bottom corner of the net. If he gives you the outside, you beat him with a face dodge and get your hands free and hit the same bottom right corner of the net. And the same can be used for other angles of dodging from behind the net. For the stick part, I had to adapt my pocket to give me more hold and be created for one-handed cradling while dodging. Once I found the pocket that I was looking for, I just hit the wall over and over before practice and became comfortable to how the pocket threw.
    conlax14jackmishKevin Rowen
  • jackmishjackmish Durham, NC
    I agree as well, I start crease attack this year for my varsity team, and even though I lift for size, I'm around 140-145 and 5'6. That being said I've taken a couple good dodges this year when the situation arose after backing up shots or how our plays make me move. But I play either attack wing for my club team and during my Varsity summer and fall league with my team and I do well dodging to goal against guys who are 6'2 and 215. It's all about footwork, speed, and execution. Bull rushing at a guy, even if the positions were reversed and I played pole with my size and a 6'2 guy went against me, you still shouldn't do it. If you are on the field against someone in a meaningful game and someone is guarding you, they earned somehow to be on the field with you. I'm not saying run around them and move the ball on and avoid all contact, but be smart, use speed and chopping your feet and field reading to do well. Sometimes I can go straight to goal from X or the wing and put it without having to roll inside or do some other move, but I rarely do. Have a plan, and if it doesn't work, figure another out rather than going right at the guy.
    Though I have to say on the stick side of things I recommend mixing it up a bit, you can play with the same amount of whip and release as you did before. I play with little whip, but using a good channel and a lower pocket (I used to play with a high pocket I moved to mid) and making your shooters higher and tighter, you can be more confident it won't fall out of your stick. But don't use depth and an illegal pocket to gain stick confidence, I play with a half a centimeter above my sidewalls holes ball depth and have great hold but a smooth, quick release. I gotta say what I've noticed I need more of this season is speed and a good first step, I have the step but lacrosse is the fastest sport on two feet, so to be the best you gotta be fast.
  • Thanks for the replies, I'm going to try and eliminate the bull dodging and get some more roll dodges in my game. A lot of times when I'm taking hits on a dodge, it's because I beat the first guy with a speed dodge but I try to aggressively get past the slide and get a better shot.
    I would still like to mess around with my pocket and get more hold because I just don't feel comfortable with the vertical cradle always.
    Speed is probably my biggest asset, I just think I need to work on getting a better look when I'm dodging from the wing. We are changing up our