Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

FIL WLC: The Good, The Bad, & The Reffing - Lacrosse All Stars

edited July 24 in Recent Articles

imageFIL WLC: The Good, The Bad, & The Reffing - Lacrosse All Stars

This post will cover the FIL World Lacrosse Championships as objectively as possible, and talk about much of the the good, the bad, and the reffing.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Tickets were $65 lower level for Championship game unless you bought one of the packages. The tickets did not come on sale until the day before so they could jack up prices depending on the match up. For an extra $10 you could have bought suite level tickets on top of $10 parking. Last day tickets were absurd but if you just got a single day for one of the pool play days it was a decent price.
  • Dude,

The food was not only ridiculously expensive, but also brutal. A $6.25 burger with nothing more than meat on a bun? That sort of thing just begs for business to go elsewhere... and we Canadian masters sure did.

Second, the reffing was worse than Manchester. I saw the ref cost Team Australia a goal in their game with England. Anytime the reffing is affecting outcomes, that's a bad deal. Luckily, the Aussies dominated in that game, but there were plenty of bad examples. This was especially true of the shot-out-of-bounds rules. I'm an FIL ref and I couldn't believe how badly it was botched. Also, lots of missed moving screens (including by my own country and by the Iroquois) and really confusing (but creative!!!) whistle use and signals.

Third, how you can forget to mention the weather is beyond me. This was especially hard on the Aussies who played many a late and delayed game. In may be off by one day, but my count had all but three days significantly delayed by rain/lightning, and on championship day, they had to call hydration breaks due to the extreme heat and the smoke (Yes, smoke! Check the weather reports. That haze was smoke!)

Fourth, a six foot woodie is a dangerous weapon in any person's hands. It's not a comment against native people to say that. And weighting (or any other alteration) to a stick is already illegal. It's easy to be PC about this until you have been hit by one. I've had a few whacks from a short wood stick, and that is enough to tell me that the slashes to the Canadian thighs and shins in Game One versus the Iroquois were brutal. It made me feel nauseous hearing those sticks hitting bare flesh.

Finally, amen on the trading... although, as you said, it still happened. There's no suppressing the lacrosse community.

As you note, overall a good tourney. I can safely say that it is getting better every time!

scriff