Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

Olympic Lacrosse And The Iroquois - Lacrosse All Stars

StaffStaff Boise & Brooklyn
edited July 25 in Recent Articles

imageOlympic Lacrosse And The Iroquois - Lacrosse All Stars

A major topic of discussion out in Denver was Olympic Lacrosse. How close is lacrosse to be a sport in the Olympics? 2024? 2028? 2032?

Read the full story here

Comments

• conlax14conlax14 Milford, MA
    While I would love to see lacrosse on an Olympic level just because it increases the international visibility of the sport, I'm not sure it's the right goal to push for. The lacrosse world is small. This push is taking the extremely limited amount of time and resources available that could otherwise be used for enhancing FIL's footprint and growing the world games (indoor and outdoor).

Just because lacrosse might be an Olympic sport doesn't mean it's all of a sudden the new thing around the world. Look at curling, badminton or speed skating. Some countries go crazy for these sports, others not so much. Same with hockey. Only a few countries have a legitimate shot each Olympics.

Being biased like you, I cannot imagine international lacrosse without the Iroquois represented. Their inclusion is what makes this sport different from every other in the world. Ignoring that is not a change for the better. I also do not see the US agreeing to any sort of sovereignty talk. Look at any major case that's made it into the federal judicial system and you'll see why. Ultimately it's too hard to the government to develop a workable solution that guarantees things stay the way they want it, which is like today's setup.

Independent tournaments in most sports are the defining moments in athletic careers. The World Series, World Cup, Tour De France, NBA championships, Masters and Stanley cup are all prizes with equivalent Olympic golds (except baseball currently) where they headline an athlete's accomplishments. Lacrosse and the world games can be the same. Until you can get an entire blue division fighting for gold...it should be as well.
    scriff
  • no iroquois, screw the olympics.
    we're lacrosse and i am growing tired of the need to be "liked"
    we have our culture, its unique, and if the ioc clowns can't handle it, who needs the olympics anyway?
    scriff