Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Categories

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

Philadelphia Wings Leave Philly: What Took So Long? - Lacrosse All Stars

StaffStaff Boise & Brooklyn
edited August 7 in Recent Articles

imagePhiladelphia Wings Leave Philly: What Took So Long? - Lacrosse All Stars

A part of me can't believe that the Philadelphia Wings are leaving Phily. Another part of me is still surprised it took this long.

Read the full story here

Comments

• connor;
    with all respect, leave us the logo and nickname. you have not invested the 28 years like most of us did. we may join up for a bus ride to uncasville, but to think we'll be wings fans cheering the team that left us takes alot of wishful thinking. when the spectrum - god rest its soul - was torn down, good dates were hard to get. friday and saturday nights were great - but friday mornings?! ticket prices zoomed up but ask anyone of us the biggest reasons were the family friendly atmosphere, team turnover, and rudderless direction. i did not pay $40 a game to watch tennyboppers dance at halftime, i pay to watch spit, sweat and grit. the powers that run the arena treat us like we're the plague. i'm sorry but yelling "sucks" does not earn one a scolding from the rent a cops. the team had no identity - successive faces of the team were traded - ward, greenhalgh, snider, van beek, athan, miller, dawson - yeah i'll buy that guy's jersey next year! and let me not forget the team unamerica fiasco. mgmnt failed to bring attention to the team. a poorly produced wings highlight show was not so good and even more ironic when we had the best announcer on the lacrosse network david walls. what could had been first class bordered on sad.
    i'm certain that mike will never recoup his losses over the years since he bought out cline/fitz interest years ago. i respect mike for holding out on that end. but i paid for every game i ever saw in the mill/nll - not just in philly but in ny, baltimore and washington when getting a free ticket was there for the asking. no other fanbase, even the remaining 6,000, put up with so much just for one season of glory.
    mike's lacrosse team moved, good for him, and i wish all the players the best, but the philadelphia wings are philadelphia 100%.
    scriff
  • dougm said:

connor;
    with all respect, leave us the logo and nickname. you have not invested the 28 years like most of us did. we may join up for a bus ride to uncasville, but to think we'll be wings fans cheering the team that left us takes alot of wishful thinking. when the spectrum - god rest its soul - was torn down, good dates were hard to get. friday and saturday nights were great - but friday mornings?! ticket prices zoomed up but ask anyone of us the biggest reasons were the family friendly atmosphere, team turnover, and rudderless direction. i did not pay $40 a game to watch tennyboppers dance at halftime, i pay to watch spit, sweat and grit. the powers that run the arena treat us like we're the plague. i'm sorry but yelling "sucks" does not earn one a scolding from the rent a cops. the team had no identity - successive faces of the team were traded - ward, greenhalgh, snider, van beek, athan, miller, dawson - yeah i'll buy that guy's jersey next year! and let me not forget the team unamerica fiasco. mgmnt failed to bring attention to the team. a poorly produced wings highlight show was not so good and even more ironic when we had the best announcer on the lacrosse network david walls. what could had been first class bordered on sad.
    i'm certain that mike will never recoup his losses over the years since he bought out cline/fitz interest years ago. i respect mike for holding out on that end. but i paid for every game i ever saw in the mill/nll - not just in philly but in ny, baltimore and washington when getting a free ticket was there for the asking. no other fanbase, even the remaining 6,000, put up with so much just for one season of glory.
    mike's lacrosse team moved, good for him, and i wish all the players the best, but the philadelphia wings are philadelphia 100%.

Strong arguments from a dedicated fan. I can see why the name and logo should stay in Philly. Maybe there will be a men's club team to pop up that will use the name, like the men's club Boston Blazerz up in Mass. Keeps the legend alive on some level.

I appreciate your POV. You raise some excellent points!!!!