Box Lacrosse vs Field Lacrosse, what do you prefer?

edited January 2013 in Water Cooler
I want to know if box lacrosse truly is "A Canadian Sport" and if Americans are really just "field-freaks". But if that's the case how could the NLL support 6 American teams? I want to know which one is more popular where by finding out what your preferred version of the sport is. Be sure to mention whether you are Canadian or American when responding with your preferred version. Thank you to everyone who responds!!
Mark Donahue

Comments

• jonnyvegas45jonnyvegas45 Thousand Oaks, California
    Box lacrosse is not just a, "Canadian sport". It's played in many countries including USA. I am an American and I play both Field and box lacrosse. I don't have a preference because I love all forms of lacrosse.
    imageJonny Vegas
    Facebook.com/vegas45
    Mark Donahue
  • I must say that i love playing in the box, and if i have someone who understands what i am doing on the crease i like the field.
    Joe O'Neill
    www.stringersshack.com
    Manufacturer of Lacrosse Mesh and Stringing Supplies est.2008
    #stringyourown
    #stringitforward
  • conlax14conlax14 Milford, MA
    I'm an american who grew up with field and occasionally would play in a box format. Even now I play "indoor lacrosse" which is not true box, but similar for all practical purposes. I have to say as an adult, my preferred form of lacrosse to both watch and play is box. I think why it's considered a "Canadian sport" is that's the format where the youth focus is in most of Canada. In most of the US, it's field.
    scriff
  • edited February 2013
    Loved playing Box Lacrosse as a kid, but love watching and coaching the field game as an adult.
    Post edited by laxcoachvin on
  • I'm an american and perfer field but we don't have much box where I live so I don't think it is a so much that I prefer it or that it is prefered by others I think that it is just more available and played more in canada.
  • I like both games but would prefer to play field over box and box is a bit more interesting to watch as there is more action.
  • oglaxrat27oglaxrat27 Turners Falls, MA
    First off, American in New England, Western Mass to be exact. I grew up with some of my first experience of lacrosse being in a box. We would practice and train there during the fall, winter and early spring. Then transition to the field. We were grateful to have the arena to play in and eventually 2 7v7 turf fields under a dome, as New England winters never seem to end when it's time to move outside and play. I play closed D and LSM on the field, I love every minute of it on the field. But there is something about playing in the box that still gets me pumped up. Attackman have to play defense, defensemen have to play offense. It's a tighter space, so your awareness of the ball, opposing team and what your teammates are doing needs to be heightened. Attackmen and middies that have a tendency to dangle their sticks don't seem to dangle as much after playing in the box. It hones your stick skills and improves footwork on both sides of the ball. I coach my youth team on box tactics as well as spend time in our arena for them to get a feel.

As far as preference, i'm going to take the easy way out. Once the temp drops and the snow starts to fall, give me the box and let this defenseman score some goals. But on a warm spring or summer day, put the grass below my feet and lets stretch the field.
    #stringyourown #stringtrad #stringitforward

Let's grow the game and spread the word.

Rick Kovalsick
    Promo Lacrosse
    Custom Lacrosse Uniforms

IG: OGLaxRat_27
    Mark Donahue
  • elmoximelmoxim Hopedale, MA
    Still trying to understand what @stringersshack is doing on the crease?!

We got some old guys to get together and play "indoor" 5 on 5, but used a 6X6 net so I would hesitate to call it "Box". As much as I love field I would say that I like the fact you can get a LOT more lacrosse in playing indoor. (we get the field for an hour) I also felt that without sidelines, it was easier to get newbies/ex-laxers to play since a missed pass was still in play...everyone had fun. I have never shot on a 4X4 net and my guess is it's more of a technique thing than just assuming it's a smaller version of a field net.
    scriff
  • I am a true crease attackman, most younger guys are used to a guy at X and are not very willing to sling it into the crease
    Joe O'Neill
    www.stringersshack.com
    #stringyourown
    #stringitforward
    scriff
  • @elmoxim " I have never shot on a 4X4 net and my guess is it's more of a technique thing than just assuming it's a smaller version of a field net." It is more about how well your team can move the ball and how well you can place your shots, not how hard you can shoot.
    Joe O'Neill
    www.stringersshack.com
    #stringyourown
    #stringitforward
    scriff
  • I go back and forth on this debate all the time. Whenever I play one version of the game, I forget how much I like the other until I get back to it. At the end of the day, they're both pretty great.

It's also interesting how some skills translate to the other style, while other skills don't. Sometimes it takes a game or two to remember which skill is needed for which version of the game. The shooting, previously mentioned by @elmoxim and @stringershack, is a perfect example. Shooting in box is more about accuracy and subtle fakes than shooting in field because the relatively closer distance to the goal and the smaller open area of the goal.

Mark Donahue
  • Mark DonahueMark Donahue Video King! Boise, ID
    @scriff just described my life's debate.
    scriff
  • This is definitely a tough one. Growing up in the south, we have the chance to play field year round. However, I have played some box. I love how fast box is - when you make a great move you're definitely rewarded. And it allows for a lot more freestyle and creativity. I don't think I would choose it over field though just due to the nature of my own game. I'm pretty tall (6'4") so I like to have a little more space to work with, to be able to get running down hill towards the goal with a full head of steam.

I played a lot of basketball growing up too - which do y'all think that helps more: field or box?
  • creed18 said:

I played a lot of basketball growing up too - which do y'all think that helps more: field or box?

Playing basketball helps both styles of lacrosse, however I think that the movements in basketball and box are almost identical. I would say box.
    Conner Reed
  • thestringer7thestringer7 big rapids, mi
    I'm American and grew up on the USA-Canadian border. I've only played true box lacrosse in Canada a handful of times, and have always played field in the US. I personally like field myself but I suppose that's because the lack of playing box. The one thing I love about field and hate about box is the amount of space you have on a field. I feel almost claustrophobic while playing box. But I still really liked playing box whenever I got the opportunity to. Either way, I'll take up a game of field over box.
    scrifftaschemb
  • pagano92pagano92 Ontario, Canada
    I'm Canadian and I started to play box first because it is a lot more popular here but up here in Canada there is still a lot of field and I started to play field afterwards but I'm not sure which I prefer, but I don't think box is a Canadian sport even though its our national sport because you are right the NLL does have American teams as well but in Canada box lacrosse is definitely more commercialized than field lacrosse.
    stringershack