New to stringing and looking for feedback

Hey guys,

I'm a LAX dad who is new to stringing. Over the last 2 weeks I've strung several sticks for my sons who play at the youth level.

I'm looking to get some feedback and constructive criticism on how to become a better stringer. The sticks have been thrown with and performed pretty well. The black Lakota with the grey mesh had a lot of whip and bag. I've restrung it a couple of times and was able to fix the whip but haven't had too much luck with the bagging.

Attached are pics of the sticks in the order I strung them. Again, any feedback would be appreciated.

Elite with Duramesh photo preview_image_1_38269282x_zpsdf071be6.jpg
photo preview_image_1_82915022x_zps83e56940.jpg
photo preview_image_1_57106902x_zpsc4f8ab41.jpg

Lakota with Throne photo preview_image_1_53472602x_zps59338c6c.jpg
photo preview_image_1_37291172x_zps93c0af29.jpg
photo preview_image_1_19191502x_zpsda564df2.jpg

Lakota with StringKing photo preview_image_1_28402402x_zps299781d5.jpg
photo preview_image_1_34069512x_zps668d7e22.jpg
photo preview_image_1_61461652x_zps7fa8bd56.jpg

Cobra X with StringKing photo preview_image_1_1343352x_zps4d177700.jpg
photo preview_image_1_8239232x_zpsa9843e13.jpg
photo preview_image_1_24771812x_zpsa28976ca.jpg

Jeff BrunelleRyan Mulvaney

Comments

• Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID
    As far as your problem with the bag goes, it has to do with your sidewall stringing. If you keep the same pattern all the way down (it looks like your using every other sidewall hole) you're going to have a uniform pocket that bags. You might want to try skipping sidewall holes where you want the pocket to be and then using every sidewall hole above and below your pocket. It leaves the pocket taught where you don't want it to bag and it provides slack to break in the pocket in its desired positon. Hope this helps you with future pockets.
    #YoteFam
    #GrowTheGame
    #StringYourOwn
    #StringItForward

College of Idaho Lacrosse
    Midfield
    Class of 2015
    ekeown
  • Rydensaur said:

As far as your problem with the bag goes, it has to do with your sidewall stringing. If you keep the same pattern all the way down (it looks like your using every other sidewall hole) you're going to have a uniform pocket that bags. You might want to try skipping sidewall holes where you want the pocket to be and then using every sidewall hole above and below your pocket. It leaves the pocket taught where you don't want it to bag and it provides slack to break in the pocket in its desired positon. Hope this helps you with future pockets.

I like this advice! Almost every problem in a pocket is due to sidewalls. I think you could pull yours down further, tighter, then bunch them up, like I do in my video tutorial on youtube.

Another thing to look at is your shooters. They are VERY loose! I find my shooters work best, and snag the ball the least, when they are TAUT, but not tight, and definitely not loose. I put a ball in with a butter knife and TAUT-en them up.
    Content Editor - LaxAllStars.com
    you can reach me through info@lacrosseallstars.com
    Ryan Mulvaneytriggertrav
  • edited June 2013
    Thanks for the feedback guys! I'm going to restring and tighten everything up.
    Post edited by broadarrow1 on
    Ryan Mulvaneytriggertrav
  • East Coast Dyes has a few videos for stuff like that. heres a link to some of them
  • Id also recommend watching there stringers tips playlist because it'll really advance your knowledge as a stringer so you can string awesome pockets without watching a tutorial.
    broadarrow1
  • pagano92pagano92 Ontario, Canada
    have to say, a lot better than my first couple string jobs! but definitely try to pull down the first few diamonds of mesh down more by skipping sidewall holes and creating a channel. when you have a nice channel and you start to bunch up your mush with double or triple interlocks, and moving out of them with a couple singles back to interlocks it will make your pocket more defined and not baggy. practice makes perfect, keep it up!!!
  • thestringer7thestringer7 big rapids, mi
    I would say take the U's out and just put straight shooters in for the pockets if they're playing at the youth level. takes out the "whip" factor and allows them to actually throw the ball good and shoot good. I remember when I first started playing I restrung my stick with U's and I couldn't throw a simple pass. Took a few weeks of playing with it and finally took the U's out and put all straights in and it worked perfect! @broadarrow1
    scriff