Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

Ball Hockey Fight Is Embarrassing

edited June 2013 in Open Forum

imageBall Hockey Fight Is Embarrassing

We didn't know ball hockey was a real sport, and not just something you do for fun on a tennis court, but evidently it is, and there are even World Championships held every couple of years. The crowd at this recent Canada Vs Czech Republic ball hockey game is pretty darn serious, but it's got nothing on this out of control fight.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Camera man needs to figure out how to manage the autofocus on the camera. Why don't Canadians just take up WWF instead of using sports as a pretense for brawling?
  • Connor...

I figured you would jump on this opportunity to condemn box lacrosse and our continued allowance of fighting.

You take the topic of "self-policing" as your focal point in this whined-up and use the title card for the actions of the player in the video. If you had done any research the aggressor Justin Pender of the ECHL (the guy who starts everything in the video) is quoted from his twitter:

" I would like to take this moment to apologize for my actions on Saturday June 8th. After the hockey game was over I let the behaviour of a member on the opposing team anger me. My response to the taunting was misguided and someone was injured because of it. I would like to apologize to the Czech team members for my handling the situation poorly and truly hope that my actions will not be reflected in their opinion of my fellow team members. What I did is not representative of my team or how ball hockey is played in Canada. I would also like to send a heartfelt apology to the referee who was hurt when (I /another player) fell on him during the fight. Had I stayed calm and simply walked away this accident would have not occurred. Finally I would like to apologize to my team. As a member of a team hosting an international event I should have set a higher standard of sportsmanship for myself but I did not and it reflected poorly upon my team who worked so hard for this competition. Going forward I will make every effort to prevent this from happening again. By remembering how my actions have impacted myself an those around me. I will be setting a higher standard for myself and my actions in order to develop better sportsmanship. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I hope it can give a sense of how truly sorry I am." - Justin Pender

Clearly the incident wasn't a case of "self-policing". Rather a player who made some extremely bad choices - who has done the mature thing and publicly apologized in an open forum and national television.

Are you ignoring the fact that there was also a baseball brawl last night. Might I remind you that there is NO fighting in baseball. Yet, somehow, through unexplainable acts of ungodly proportion... there is fighting, not just fighting, but bench clearing brawls from time to time. Might I also add that statistically there are mor bench clearing brawls in a season of baseball than there are hockey and lacrosse, combined. No - not because there are more game sin baseball, I'm talking about brawls per average/capita.

By all means comment on Pender's actions. But do not compare them to the norm of box lacrosse or use a cliche term like "self-policing" as your argument - when it was clearly an act of aggravated aggression and hostility, that has no place in any sports.

Chris Fox
    scriffbsigmund90
  • Fights are going to happen in any sport, and I'm not pointing any of my comments to anything but what I saw in this video. In my opinion, there are two problem here:

The obvious one is the maniac, Justin Pender, who starts pushing and throwing punches, when not even physically provoked. He is attacking a player who is clearly trying not to fight, then starts attacking the goalie, who is only trying to protect his teammate and didn't even attempt to fight, and injures a ref. This was not a fight, this was an assault. The only good choice Pender made was to not use his hockey stick in the assault, though it appears he was about to until the ref grabbed it (see the 2:14 mark); I'd even argue that this wasn't just a "extremely bad choice", it was well beyond that in my mind and I question why charges of assault weren't filed. His apology wasn't even that good:

• "I let the behaviour of a member on the opposing team anger me"
      i.e. it is their fault that I got mad and can't control myself. We are two sentences in, and this apology is already shifting the blame, so it is no longer a valid apology.

• "I would like to apologize to the Czech team members for my handling the situation poorly"
      This may be an understatement.

• " I would also like to send a heartfelt apology to the referee who was hurt when (I /another player) fell on him during the fight"
      Once again shifting part of the blame; the ref was injured ONLY because of Pender's actions.

• "Had I stayed calm and simply walked away this accident would have not occurred"
      Walked away when? Before you walked up an hit the Czech player in the chest (2:02), when you stick checked his arm (2:06), when you sucker punched him in the face in front of the ref (2:08), or after all that when the ref was telling you to calm down and not fight and you decided to charge at the Czech player (2:12)?

• After that I can't really complain about the rest of his "apology" other than he never directly apologized to the two Czech players he brutalized. Saying sorry to an organization, while appropriate for the level of his actions, is not the same as specifically apologizing to the individuals.

To me, his actions still speak louder than his words.

The second problem hasn't been mentioned, as far as I have seen, but I believe definitely fueled the attack. Listen and watch the crowd during the video. There appears to be no outrage to Pender's actions, only cheers and clapping. I understand that this is common for fights in sports, but seriously when one of the victims is trying to run away, and another is laying passively on top sacrificing himself to protect his teammate, why would you cheer for this? After the first 10 seconds of this why would you continue to celebrate this? Yet the crowd continues for another 20 seconds while Pender continues his aggression, and then they continue to revel in how "awesome" Pender is for the remainder of the video.

On a side note, kudos to the rest of the Canadian team for working to stop the fight and remove Pender, as well as the entire Czech team, who not only won the game, 5-1, but didn't reduce themselves to Pender's level.
    fatlax73
  • Since we are posting fight videos, check out the hit at 0:26 in this video highlight from a 1932 box lacrosse game, supposedly the first ever box lacrosse match between Toronto and Montreal.

I couldn't even imagine playing in a game where someone would do that on purpose.
  • edited June 2013
    Foxy said:

Connor...

I figured you would jump on this opportunity to condemn box lacrosse and our continued allowance of fighting.

You take the topic of "self-policing" as your focal point in this whined-up and use the title card for the actions of the player in the video. If you had done any research the aggressor Justin Pender of the ECHL (the guy who starts everything in the video) is quoted from his twitter:

" I would like to take this moment to apologize for my actions on Saturday June 8th. After the hockey game was over I let the behaviour of a member on the opposing team anger me. My response to the taunting was misguided and someone was injured because of it. I would like to apologize to the Czech team members for my handling the situation poorly and truly hope that my actions will not be reflected in their opinion of my fellow team members. What I did is not representative of my team or how ball hockey is played in Canada. I would also like to send a heartfelt apology to the referee who was hurt when (I /another player) fell on him during the fight. Had I stayed calm and simply walked away this accident would have not occurred. Finally I would like to apologize to my team. As a member of a team hosting an international event I should have set a higher standard of sportsmanship for myself but I did not and it reflected poorly upon my team who worked so hard for this competition. Going forward I will make every effort to prevent this from happening again. By remembering how my actions have impacted myself an those around me. I will be setting a higher standard for myself and my actions in order to develop better sportsmanship. Thank you for taking the time to read this letter. I hope it can give a sense of how truly sorry I am." - Justin Pender

Clearly the incident wasn't a case of "self-policing". Rather a player who made some extremely bad choices - who has done the mature thing and publicly apologized in an open forum and national television.

Are you ignoring the fact that there was also a baseball brawl last night. Might I remind you that there is NO fighting in baseball. Yet, somehow, through unexplainable acts of ungodly proportion... there is fighting, not just fighting, but bench clearing brawls from time to time. Might I also add that statistically there are mor bench clearing brawls in a season of baseball than there are hockey and lacrosse, combined. No - not because there are more game sin baseball, I'm talking about brawls per average/capita.

By all means comment on Pender's actions. But do not compare them to the norm of box lacrosse or use a cliche term like "self-policing" as your argument - when it was clearly an act of aggravated aggression and hostility, that has no place in any sports.

Chris Fox

Let's try to set some things straight. First off, please read my posts a little bit more closely. I asked, "IF we allow for self policing, does this type of stuff come as well?" I didn't condemn box, fighting in box, nor did I say it was rampant, NOR that this was an incident of self policing, NOR did I say that the two different types of fighting go hand in hand. I asked two major questions:

"If fighting is allowed to help “self-police” the game, are the fights that result from taunting and blow outs also part of the deal?"

"I can dial back the idea that fighting is rampant in lacrosse, or hockey, or ball hockey, but if this is what new people are likely to first find, are we doing ourselves any favors?"

Those two questions were the crux of my article. You seem to have an answer prepared for both, which is great. I did not. How you read my post to be providing an answer is beyond me.

And I know it wasn't self policing, and I even read Pender's apology, which was, as @Ekeown pointed out, sort of a joke. Just say you're sorry and take the blame.

Baseball is also a steroid filled joke. Be glad I'm NOT talking about that abomination of professionalism. Also, anyone who thinks baseball fighting is outlawed is fooling themselves. It might not be on the books, but it's totally accepted. 40 guys brawl, 2 guys get ejected. See how that works? If it were actually illegal, they'd all be ejected. It is de facto fighting, and along with all the PEDs, it turns the pro sport into an utter joke. Do you want lacrosse to imitate baseball? I don't. So I try not to compare the two.

I also actually made a note that this is specifically NOT the norm in ball hockey, ice hockey, OR lacrosse. I literally said that.

As always, I appreciate the comments, insight, and passion, I just wish in the future you would read my articles with a more open mind. That way you might see the points I am actually trying to make, and not the ones you fear I am trying to make.

I still don't love fighting in "sport", as I think it is antithetical to the overall purpose, but I also realize ideology and reality are not always the same thing. I will continue to have nuanced conversations covering the benefits and drawbacks of fighting. I hope you continue to join in as your perspective is invaluable!
    Post edited by Connor Wilson on
    triggertravMark Donahue
  • Camera man needs to figure out how to manage the autofocus on the camera. Why don't Canadians just take up WWF instead of using sports as a pretense for brawling?

A funny joke, mostly untrue, but with a kernel of truth. Also, most WWF guys are Canadian! They are just a rough and tough group of people who will punch you in the face and then buy you a beer.

Kidding, that was racist. Canadians are people, like everyone else. Our baseball brawls are no better, and in fact, MUCH, much worse.
  • Only one way to settle the argument between Fox and Wilson...
    ekeownConnor Wilson
  • I don't think comments about Canadians qualify as racist, maybe nationalistic though. I do think there are some cultural differences and these show up in sports. Lacrosse is one that both countries play and play against each other. I always enjoyed the Oregon vs Simon Fraser games. Checkout 5:34 in this video for example. General both teams were equally chippy.

Camera man needs to figure out how to manage the autofocus on the camera. Why don't Canadians just take up WWF instead of using sports as a pretense for brawling?

A funny joke, mostly untrue, but with a kernel of truth. Also, most WWF guys are Canadian! They are just a rough and tough group of people who will punch you in the face and then buy you a beer.

Kidding, that was racist. Canadians are people, like everyone else. Our baseball brawls are no better, and in fact, MUCH, much worse.

• I can agree some the fights I've been in can make me wonder a freind filmed one and showed to other friends and some debating if they were gonna play said its to brute of a sport. Really it's probally one of the most graceful sports.