Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

How to reduce whip in youth pocket

mmfalconmmfalcon Park Ridge, NJ
My grandson plays U-9 and has a difficult time with release point when there is whip on pocket. What is the most effective way to reduce the level of whip, without reducing hold or depth of the pocket? Evo3 currently strung with 15mm mesh with U-Channel and 2 Shooters?

Comments

• Is your grandson using a head that was pro strung from a retailer? If so you're going to want to restring it for him, as these pockets are often inadequately strung and will inhibit his performance rather than help it.

If you are restringing it make sure to graduate your shooters so the top most shooter is quite taut, not tight, but taut. The next shooter should be a little looser but still taut, then the next shooter should be there, not just barely hanging on to the head, but still not as taut as the second shooter. Also make sure that the top portion of the mesh from the scoop is tightly attached to the head to allow for a smooth release.

Try checking out this tutorial Connor gave on A WAY to string mesh with a good channel. He's much better at articulating what you can do than I am:

http://community.laxallstars.com/discussion/563/tutorial-channel-mesh-pocket#latest

Hope that helped!
    scriff
  • I would first try removing the 'u', tightening the bottom string (near the throat of the stick), and having the remaining shooters straight and gradually tighten as then approach the scoop. These adjustments can be quickly and easily, and should help reduce whip.
  • mmfalconmmfalcon Park Ridge, NJ
    Thanks for the quick response. I completely understand the graduated tendion concept for the shooters. It just seems more difficult when there is a high pocket. The mid or lower pockets seem more adjustable, to reduce the whip. With a high pocket location, the exit release path is more pronounced and hard to moderate. By the way, this is with a non-college legal (4") stringing.
  • I find that younger players struggle with whip often time because of the 'u' in their pocket. I have coached many youth teams and rarely allow one of my players to use a 'u' shooter. The 'u' shooter often sags and doesn't allow the ball to roll properly through the pocket. I tend not to worry that much about the 'hold' a pocket has (again especially for a young player) because often times good hold means bad throwing and shooting. It's more important for a younger player to learn the mechanics of a proper throw.
    triggertrav
  • mmfalcon said:

Thanks for the quick response. I completely understand the graduated tendion concept for the shooters. It just seems more difficult when there is a high pocket. The mid or lower pockets seem more adjustable, to reduce the whip. With a high pocket location, the exit release path is more pronounced and hard to moderate. By the way, this is with a non-college legal (4") stringing.

With a high pocket you really only need 2 shooters without the U. As @scriff mentioned the U can sag and not allow the ball to roll through the stick properly. Though the U may look "cool", I'd see if taking it out and using straight nylons would help. It wouldn't be detrimental to your grandson's performance to have a setup that is college legal even at the youth level moving forward.
  • mmfalconmmfalcon Park Ridge, NJ
    Thanks for the input. Will experiment with some different configurations. However, I presume that removing the U will decrease done of the accuracy.

I do think that some level of standardization of legal stringing and head specs, would be constructive for the game. For example, enforcing the 4" rule across all levels, or elimination different measurement minimums in head size specs. In golf, all club specs are the same, from the Pros to Juniors. I dont quite see why we should clearly encourage different specs among age group levels? However, to be sure, as long as spec variations are allowed, people will certainly take advantage of them.
    scriff
  • jackmishjackmish Durham, NC
    mmfalcon said:

Thanks for the input. Will experiment with some different configurations. However, I presume that removing the U will decrease done of the accuracy.

While the removal of the U shooter in some pockets might decrease accuracy I wouldn't worry about it as much, I stopped using U's in my pockets about 10 months ago because I prefer to use college rules, but I rarely used them before. My accuracy never has been affected due to lack of a u shooter because my channel has been well strung. The removal of the U altogether is my advice and I think you probably will find the same accuracy as you did before. Hopefully this helps.
    scriff
  • pandapanda Waxhaw NC
    id reccomend taking the u out and putting 2 or 3 straights that are fairly loose and strung high in the head , also string a lower pocket
    scriff