Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

Hot Pot: What You Do, Not What You Wear

edited July 2013 in Gear Talk

imageHot Pot: What You Do, Not What You Wear

A couple weeks ago, Connor talked about his least favorite word. Now why I might not agree that it's my least favorite word, I definitely agree with all the points he makes, and wanted to expand on it from my own perspective in this week's Hot Pot.

Read the full story here

Comments

• First off great hat second I never got into the whole lax bro thing in high school or watched the lax bro videos. I was more into playing the game and being the best out there. When people come and say oh you play lax so you are a lax bro then as if it was a bad thing i would say im a lax bro as in brotha because i am black and play lacrosse as a joke. The whole lax bro thing kinda put a bad spin on the sport and took the focus off the effort real lacrosse players put in and not the posers. I like the fact the even ADRLN has a movement to cancel out the lax bro thing and bring the focus back to the sport.
  • jackmishjackmish Durham, NC
    To start I like occasionally wearing tanks and hats outside and the occasional neon shirt. I never really got into neon clothing and things like that, my current coach is very adamant about the fact that we as a team will never wear flashy stuff. To me the difference is, if you enjoy the look of that type of clothing or lacrosse gear, go for it. But if you wear all of that stuff and call yourself a "lax bro" I would hope you live in California because thats where it originated from, if not, I would think you are being rather silly. I think the reason some people like me, who truly love the game and what its done for me kind of resent the "bro" culture. I mean "bro" as in someone who plays the sport, wear the flashy clothing and gear, but don't have any swagger such as it is defined by Connor and @krowen. Any talent. Or personally I believe passion would be how I differentiate between someone who likes flashy stuff and cares a whole lot, or even is from SoCal, and someone who is a poser about the game. If you like neon and love the game as much as people like I do, power to you.
  • Kevin RowenKevin Rowen LAS Editorial Intern SoCal
    edited July 2013

I like the fact the even ADRLN has a movement to cancel out the lax bro thing and bring the focus back to the sport.

That's a good point! This didn't find its way into this article, but over on Southland we talked about Adrenaline's "Don't Be A Bro" video before. Here's the link to that if you're interested in reading more: http://southland.laxallstars.com/adrenaline-campaign-aims-to-curb-growing-lax-bro-culture/
    Post edited by Kevin Rowen on
    @jackmish what makes you think it started in SoCal? Despite all the growth in the recent years, lacrosse is still pretty new here. I think it may have caught on here faster, but I don't think it started here. And do you believe that all lacrosse players from SoCal are "posers" or are you saying that just the ones with a passion for the game that also happen to be from SoCal? Because I think that anyone who lacks passion for lacrosse could be considered a poser by your definition.

I'm genuinely curious if SoCal really has that bad of a reputation. I've played here my entire life and I know that there are people, like myself, that are absolutely dedicated to this game and its growth. And, like any other area, there are people who aren't as dedicated. Thanks for you comment!
  • Great way to put it, but Lacrosse is a fast growing sport and you will always have different looks in the sport. Not that long ago neon what totally eighties! Now it's back everywhere.

Come check us out at Black Star Gear, and no we don't sell neon colors!

blackstargear.com
  • jackmishjackmish Durham, NC
    @krowen I did not mean to talk badly about SoCal at all, that was not what I meant and I don't think I accurately stated what I meant. I did not mean to say that it originated from California at all. In the article the "bro" lifestyle was said to have come from there, as in wearing a tank, wearing sunglasses and everything like that. I meant to define a poser as someone who played lacrosse and was a lax bro but didn't care about the game, but tried to make it seem like they did. I did not mean anyone who played that didn't have an intense passion was a poser. I apologize for not specifying.

I don't believe SoCal has a bad reputation at all actually, I think California and other states along the West Coast could potentially be the next hot pot like the one that New Jersey, Maryland, and New York is.

@jackmish I guessed that that was what you meant, but wanted to make sure. Thanks for clarifying and I appreciate the comments!