Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

Overemphasizing Heads?

edited July 2013 in Gear Talk
Do you think that there's too much focus and emphasis placed on head technology and what head players use in regards to their performance as opposed to the actual stringing done to the head?

I thought of this when I started seeing more and more questions popping up about what head was the best for a certain position or what would help to make a player better. In my own personal opinion I find that the stringing done to the head will always have a much more profound affect on a players growth and performance on the field, rather than the head they happen to be using. Sure the latest technology and materials may make slight improvements, but if the stick isn't strung properly and fits the player then it really doesn't do them any good. I'm interested to see what you guys think!
Post edited by triggertrav on

Comments

• This is very true, but then again you may not be able to get a pocket customized to the players needs if the head doesn't complement their style of play. I don't thing head specs should be changed again for NCAA. the specs used for all levels should just be the X specs which are 6.5in scoop and 3in pinch.
    jackmish
  • Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID
    I think head technology is crucial to the game. Heads have different amounts of flex, flex points, scoop angle, scoop width, sidewall design, etc. These all play a huge factor in position play. A crease attackman might want to use a X head instead of an X6 head because the scoop is .5" wider and offers a slightly larger target area for feeds. A FOGO is gonna want a head with a lot of flex and the flex points to be around the pinch. Defense men are going to want a stiff head with little flex and a pretty solid sidewall to withstand all the punishment they dish out.

Head technology is a huge deal! I'm not discounting stringing at all because a head is nothing without a well strung pocket, quite literally. But I believe that the first thing to consider when defining your style is finding a head that offers up everything you need it to do and then work your pocket around that. They need to compliment each other. If you have a head that breaks after a few faceoffs or checks, it doesn't matter what kind of pocket you have because you're not really getting any use out of it.
    jackmish
  • jackmishjackmish Durham, NC
    I agree with both of you @Rydensaur and @triggertrav, I think it is both over-emphasized while still important. Sidewall design a big one important thing, and types of heads for each position and play style based on scoop size, pinch, and flex are very key. If I played defense I probably wouldn't use a Surgeon most likely for example, I'd probably lean towards a Proton U or a Hammer for stiffness for better checking and easier catching of longer redirects.

Companies I guess have to keep making more heads to stay competitive in their market and making them different, flashier, and occasionally not all that great quality. But honestly with the exception of two heads, I've stayed pretty loyal to the clutch, the exceptions being the Evo X6 and Surgeon HS.

Many heads are overpriced, especially when factory strung. I'd love to see companies such as STX and Brine whose heads I enjoy using and stringing to string their heads better when sending them out or have their retailers do a better job. Stringing is in my opinion the most important part of a head no matter what position, if you have a 120$ head thats strung terribly, it doesn't matter the pinch or price, it's still a piece of useless crap to use. The complementing thing is something I completely agree with and its how I buy heads and I think how people bought them back in the age when most people strung their own stick.

Sidenote: Companies like Tribe7 are something I love, their stringing is quirky in its way but useful and effective. I might have to make a new exception and get a Ghost7. Their heads are catered to position as well like you'd want. Check out their FAQ on their site talking about themselves, hopefully this company goes somewhere and because a power in lacrosse and stays true to this way of thinking.
    http://tribe7lax.com/FAQS.html
    triggertrav
  • oglaxrat27oglaxrat27 Turners Falls, MA
    I agree and disagree. I think more emphasis among younger kids is placed on what head they should use initially. But an incorrect pocket in the perfect stick will hamper a kids game and frustrate them. At the start, I think all kids should play with the wider NCAA heads. They should need to hone their skills and get better so a check doesn't pop the ball out easily, not using the heads pinch to keep the ball in their stick. As we got older, preferences came into play depending on positions. This is going back almost 20 years, but guys that played with Vipers still use OG Vipers or the Viper 2. Guys that had OG Blades still play with a Blade or it's brethren. I've played with a ton of different heads, but when summer ball rolls around, I still go back to my Edge or an OG Excalibur if I'm feeling frisky.

There is no perfect head for every position. If there was, nothing else would sell and each company would only have a few offerings. How you play your game needs to be analyzed before spec'ing out a head. If you're going to put the emphasis on head design and how it may affect your game, go all out. Don't just ask for opinions of what's the "best". Ask why that stick works for someone's style of play and how they benefit from it.

And never neglect the pocket.
    jackmish