Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

My Pita

Hey all,
So this is my second I've strung, the first was quite horrible and I need the head it was on so I removed it soon after a couple months ago. This one is here to stay and I want to make it into a good enough pocket to use during offseason practice. I spent about 3 hours on this one and luckily I only have a few problems with it. 1. The amount of whip it has; too much for my taste, about a 6-7/10. 2. It doesn't catch the ball all that well, it's fairly deep but not illegal, so it might be that its not broken in enough. 3. I'm not sure if this is common for traditional, but as I shoot or pass hard, occasionally the entire pocket goes forward towards the front of the head, like when you push in mesh before you face off.

All comments and criticism are welcome, please be brutally honest.
pita back.jpeg
2592 x 1936 - 2M
pita front.jpeg
2592 x 1936 - 2M

Comments

• Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID
    1. Add a third shooting string that is fairly loose. You want to graduate your shooters from tight to loose as they move down the head. The ball is probably catching on the second shooting string and just going straight down.

2. This will improve after the pocket has broken in. For some reason traditional doesn't have that much hold until the leathers are broken in. Brand new leathers are infamous for not having much hold and this will change as they break in more. Just remember to adjust your pocket as the leathers begin to stretch.

3. Traditional pockets tend to have less of a rigid structure than mesh so the pockets are loose and tend to move with the ball. This is normal and the pocket will return to it's original position and shape.

Great job on the stringing. It looks really solid. If you need any other tips let the community know.
    stringershack
  • Looks pretty good for only a second try. In regards to your whip problem, from what I can see from the pictures it looks as if the top part of your stringing (from the top of the scoop to your third diamond) might be too loose. This can lead to the crosslace and leathers moving with the ball too much as you throw causing more whip. I would go back and make them more taut and see if that helps. Also try putting a ball in with some chopsticks when you do this, as it will allow you to make sure both sides are symmetrical and have the same amount of tension.

As for the problem with not catching that well, you are going to want to break in the leathers more once you tweak it. A few good sessions of wall ball should do the trick.

Lastly its normal for the pocket to move somewhat when passing or shooting hard, that's just a part of using traditional. It will lessen as you fix the tension and break in the pocket. Hope that helped!
    Ryan Mulvaney
  • jackmishjackmish Durham, NC
    edited July 2013
    @Rydensaur and @triggertrav thanks a ton guys, I am away right now from my house, but I'll fix it when I get back and reply here with a picture of. I added a new shooter immediately after posting and it helped somewhat. I realized completely what you meant @triggertrav after looking at the picture and I strung it free-hand so I'll use a ball with sticks when I fix it. Thanks!
    Post edited by jackmish on
  • jackmish said:

@Rydensaur and @triggertrav thanks a ton guys, I am away right now from my house, but I'll fix it when I get back and reply here with a picture of. I added a new shooter immediately after posting and it helped somewhat. I realized completely what you meant @triggertrav after looking at the picture and I strung it free-hand so I'll use a ball with sticks when I fix it. Thanks!

For doing it free hand everything looked very well done. The ball in the sticks should help with making sure the tension is even where you want it. Can't wait to see how it turns out!
  • jackmishjackmish Durham, NC
    Here's the final product, played about a half hour of wall ball already and the hold is increasing. Thanks a ton @triggertrav and @Rydensaur, it really came out great. I realized my diamonds could have been bigger at the bottom but other than that I'm proud of it, you live and you learn for next time.

Also I don't know why but all of my pictures I post come out tilted 90 degrees to the left, maybe an Admin knows why? I use .jpeg files.
    photo 3.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    photo 4.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    photo 1.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    photo 2.JPG
    2592 x 1936 - 2M
    Ryan Mulvaneystringershack
  • Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID