Things a Stringer Should Know

A friend of mine is getting into stringing and asked me for advice on little or big concepts he should understand as a stringer. I gave him a lot of help and taught him almost everything I know, such as different knots, where, when, why to interlock and so on. I thought I should start a post where people could give one another advice or ask for it rather than everybody cluttering the site with lots of different posts.
#stringyourown

Grow the Game
rushlacrosse

Comments

• I would love any advice/pointers on the process of breaking in a traditional pocket, particularly the adjusting/tightening/loosening of the crosslace. I've been stringing utterly mediocre trads for years--they're either far too tight to begin with and never stretch, or start perfectly and end with injured innocent bystanders.

But if anyone has questions on goalie mesh stringing or lacing up a Bacharach, get at me.
  • carsonb32carsonb32 dallas, tx
    quoting connor wilson hear @thebuckethelmet keep your cross lace "taught"
    and when ever you string trads don't sting them to ball depth or too tight, but just kind of in the middle and it will break in fine.
  • thestringer7thestringer7 big rapids, mi
    for mesh, www.eastcoastdyes.blogspot.com and for trads, of course the @laxallstars youtube page and connor wilson's traditional thursdays!
  • I would say in my humble opinion, learn the knots and the basics, then become your own stringer, don't just copy everyone else. Think about it, if everyone always strung the same pocket over and over again would we have the U shooter, the Iroquois top string, Rocket-Pockets, to name just a few stringing innovations.
    #stringyourown
    Joe O'Neill
    www.stringersshack.com
    Manufacturer of Lacrosse Mesh and Stringing Supplies est.2008
    #stringyourown
    #stringitforward
    jackmish
  • jackmishjackmish Durham, NC
    edited September 2013
    I've heard the words necessity is the mother invention, but in my opinion, creativity is the father of success when it comes to stringing. I've copied two pockets ever, and I don't plan on doing it again unless absolutely necessary. @stringershack knows what he's talking about. Listen to him.
    Post edited by jackmish on
    #stringyourown

Grow the Game
  • pagano92pagano92 Ontario, Canada
    really try to experiment with your knots, channels, pocket depths, shooting string patterns, nylons and top strings. keep experimenting and practicing until you find something perfect for you in the head that you are using. channels are something good to practice because they are really tough to get in the beginning, usually they will be to tight or too loose but its something you practice and perfect, I don't know much about trads but I am an excellent mesh stringer and I learned by basically getting a few of the heads I use and constantly restringing them trying something new until I found something perfect for me, and that's whats key, needs to be perfect for you so like stringershack was saying, try not to copy other peoples pockets, experiment to find something unique and perfect for you