Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

Big Lacrosse Brawl: This Is Not Normal

edited July 2013 in Open Forum

imageBig Lacrosse Brawl: This Is Not Normal

The Oakville Rock took on the Brooklin Redmen on July 24, 2013 in Senior A Major Series Lacrosse action, and the game erupted into a pretty serious brawl, where both teams left their benches after one of the Oakville players (Brendon Niesink) went over to the Brooklin bench and started throwing punches.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Mark DonahueMark Donahue Video King! Boise, ID
    The face mask grabbing is what kills me, that is complete ignorance. I understand the dropping of gloves and helmets, and some people stand behind that it has it's place, but jumping in to a bench?!?!and then grabbing a players face mask and pulling him your way is appalling. In hockey you can just fall to the ice when someone does that, so when their fingers get broken it's no ones fault but their own, I don't know how that works with larger eyeholes.
  • Did it get out of hand? yes! But this is a contact sport and at times our emotions will get the best of us. It is ingrained as a part of hockey and Box, but it is not limited to the box game it happens on the field too. I have seen and been a part of a few bench clearing fights back in High School, I have even seen a fan and a player go at it. Is it good for the sport over all, NO. The governing bodies need to put a stop to it, get in a fight, gone for the season.
  • Ridiculous enough that I Googled the Oakville Rock only to find out they play in Oakville, Ontario, CANADA. It will stop happening when the owners, referees, announcers and fans no longer tolerate it. Doesn't seem to have much to do with lacrosse.
  • Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID
    edited July 2013
    This is absurd. I never understood the whole point of fights breaking out during games. If you wanna fight so bad step into a boxing ring or MMA cage. I honestly believe nothing is done because it keeps ratings high. There's a lot of people who watch hockey or box lacrosse for the fights, just like people watch NASCAR to see crashes. It's all about media overhype and the governing bodies not doing anything to stop the fighting.
    Post edited by Ryan Mulvaney on
    dybarra17
  • Rydensaur said:

This is absurd. I never understood the whole point of fights breaking out during games. If you wanna fight so bad step into a boxing ring or MMA cage. I honestly believe nothing is done because it keeps ratings high. There's a lot of people who watch hockey or box lacrosse for the fights, just like people watch NASCAR to see crashes. It's all about media overhype and the governing bodies not doing anything to stop the fighting.

+1

• oglaxrat27oglaxrat27 Turners Falls, MA
    edited October 2013
    Definitely an aggressive and physical sport. Especially in the box. Treat it like hockey, fight is a fight, both penalized. Box teams have their own enforcers, so be it. But #25, don't be a douche. Don't grab face masks, don't go over to the bench and throw haymakers expecting not to get pummeled. The last two sets of "bouts" exemplify how it should go down, if it goes down. Both agree to the fight, helmet is removed on your own, a few swings, hit the ground or call it and it's done. Boxing has always been a gentleman's sport and so is lacrosse. One of the biggest plusses lacrosse has over pretty much every other sport is at the end of the day, we respect our opponents.
    Post edited by oglaxrat27 on