Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

Oregon: Better Football Facility Than Any NFL Team

edited August 2013 in The Sideline

imageOregon: Better Football Facility Than Any NFL Team

Oregon's new football facility is absolutely preposterous. It's better than most NFL facilities, and makes a mockery of many other college facilities. With all this Nike money, when are the Ducks going to add men's lacrosse? If you've got $68 Million for a football building, you must have $10 Million to start a killer varsity lacrosse program!

Read the full story here

Comments

• They will add lacrosse when the figure out how to make money out of it and how to deal with Title IX. Or if NIKE could make money selling lacrosse equipment. Anyway, probably it is years away.
    Connor Wilson
  • At first I was ready to fire off Title IX as it is usually the easiest road block when it comes to lacrosse. HOWEVER, with Oregon I really don't think you can make that argument. They only sponsor 17 division I sports, which is 3 less than the Pac12 average (or right about average if you remove Stanford and their whopping 36 sponsored sports)

What's very interesting is that the Pac12 in general sponsors MORE women's sports than men's sports. Only UCLA has more men's sports (13-12).

Speaking of Oregon, specifically, I think it's important to realize they do not have Men's Soccer, Track, or Volleyball (which are big sports for Pac12 schools, even though VB isn't sponsored) so I can't even imagine where lacrosse might fall in the priority queue as "next sport up."

While Oregon may be a front runner in uniforms and equipment because of its relationship with Nike, at a glance, it doesn't seem like they are in a rush to expand their athletics department. I'm pretty sure the newest program is the Women's lacrosse program which was added in 2005. With my C-level research it seems like most other sports have been playing since around the turn of the 20th century.

On another interesting, and exceptionally more relevant note, with the addition of Colorado in 2014 the Pac-12 will have 5 women's teams playing. One more and they will get an AQ. The speculation of who the next team there would be much more relevant and will almost assuredly happen before the Ducks get a men's team.
    Connor Wilson
  • It's also important to know that Oregon did not pay for the building. Uncle Night paid for the whole thing. Oregon "loaned" Phil the land in an agreement that he would give it back after construction. This made the construction process faster by not having to go through a lot of red tape when building on campus.

Also men's baseball was the last thing Oregon added. If I remember correctly Women lacrosse and another women's sport was added prior to baseball to allow the baseball team to move in. I don't see Oregon adding men's lacrosse until there is more western teams. I'm looking at you CSU, CU, and BYU!
    Connor Wilson
  • @goamerica26 strong points all around. My argument is that lacrosse will be added at Oregon once Nike decides it is time. Whatever needs to happen, will happen. That might mean other sports being added... I simply don't know. What I do know, is that cash rules, and while my hope for a team is probably premature, I do think it could go down the way I describe, should it ever happen. I agree other Western teams would help, but if Oregon and Nike saw a sport on the rise, where they could conceivably win it all in a relatively short timetable (ten years?), might they not take the risk? I don't know... I haven't even convinced myself.
  • @goamerica26 strong points all around. My argument is that lacrosse will be added at Oregon once Nike decides it is time. Whatever needs to happen, will happen. That might mean other sports being added... I simply don't know. What I do know, is that cash rules, and while my hope for a team is probably premature, I do think it could go down the way I describe, should it ever happen. I agree other Western teams would help, but if Oregon and Nike saw a sport on the rise, where they could conceivably win it all in a relatively short timetable (ten years?), might they not take the risk? I don't know... I haven't even convinced myself.

Connor. I agree. Are there D1 lacrosse teams that earn as much as they spend? I know a lacrosse program is significantly less costly than football, but it seems rare that the lacrosse games draw large crowds. On the left coast (mcla) I only know one team that tried to collect (CAL) and it was all of five bucks. What do D1 games coast on the right coast.
    Connor Wilson