Lax Hacks: Episode One

edited August 2013 in Water Cooler
imageLax Hacks: Episode One

A life hack refers to any tip or trick that helps get things done quickly by automating, increasing productivity, organizing, or saving time. Here at LAS we've come up with some Lax Hacks that can save you some frustration and allow more time for other things.

Read the full story here

Comments

• Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID
    This is great advice. Back home in Chicago, the HS season started in February. If you've ever been to the Midwest you know that's when weather is usually the worst. We tried to do as much indoor practice as we could, but it's really difficult to have a full field practice in your school's gym. If the weather wasn't up to par by the beginning of March we had to bear with the weather and get out on the field. I used all these methods to make sure my pads didn't develop mold and my stick wouldn't bag out permanently. I can't wait to see what you have to offer for Lax Hacks in the future.
    #YoteFam
    #GrowTheGame
    #StringYourOwn
    #StringItForward

College of Idaho Lacrosse
    Midfield
    Class of 2015
    Michael Allen
  • I don't like using the bathroom to dry out pads because it's typically the most humid spot in the house. The humidity will slow drying and in some cases encourage mold.
    It's pretty simple to build a stand out of some PVC pipe and hang them on that in the garage/carport/etc. I know some might be in cramped conditions and not be able to do this but if you can, it's the better way to go.
    Mark DonahueMichael Allen
  • scearley said:

I don't like using the bathroom to dry out pads because it's typically the most humid spot in the house. The humidity will slow drying and in some cases encourage mold.
    It's pretty simple to build a stand out of some PVC pipe and hang them on that in the garage/carport/etc. I know some might be in cramped conditions and not be able to do this but if you can, it's the better way to go.

The PVC stand is a great idea. We're just trying to offer suggestions that won't cost people much money. We suggested the bathroom because it's something that most people will have at their convenience. Just open the door and leave the fan on in the bathroom to help with the humidity. Another plus to the bathroom is when you do your morning routine, you'll see your pads and be sure to grab them rather than leaving them outside on the deck or something.
    jackmishscearley
  • We're just trying to offer suggestions that won't cost people much money.

I get that - an 8' length of 1/2" pvc is about $3, throw in another $5 for a few elbow and T-shape connectors. Cut the PVC (they'll even do it for you at the hardware store) and you're set.

Michael AllenMark Donahue
  • How about leathers? This summer almost every tourney was a rain fest, and it was a constant battle to keep the leathers right.
  • Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID
    bg0313 said:

How about leathers? This summer almost every tourney was a rain fest, and it was a constant battle to keep the leathers right.

The great thing about leathers is that they can take a beating in the rain and will usually go back to normal. I usually just put a ball in the pocket and then wedge a chopstick or pencil in there to keep the pocket formed while it dries. When it's dry you might have to do some maintenance depending on how much the pocket shifted when it was wet. The thing with leathers is that they get stiff after getting wet and require some work to break them back in. That's why keeping a ball in the pocket is key to making sure the pocket is maintained once it dries.
    #YoteFam
    #GrowTheGame
    #StringYourOwn
    #StringItForward

College of Idaho Lacrosse
    Midfield
    Class of 2015
    bg0313
  • Excellent, the ball and a screwdriver is what we have been doing. Thanks for the answer sometimes its nice to know when your doing it right. :-)
    Michael AllenRyan Mulvaney