The Best 4 Players Ever

Kevin RowenKevin Rowen LAS Editorial InternSoCal
Watching Casey Powell and John Grant, Jr., playing together for the Bayhawks had me thinking about the GOATs. But to make things more interesting, you can't pick more than one family member (e.g., both Casey and Mike Powell can't be on your list), and you have to include at least one defensive player or goalie.

Now for me the first three are easy: Gary Gait, Casey Powell, John Grant, Jr. After some thinking, I decided that my defensive player would be Brodie Merrill. So there are my four. What are yours?

Comments

• Mark DonahueMark Donahue Video King! Boise, ID
    I want to argue this but it's a solid list. I love Brodie for defense, but don't forget Tim Goettelmann and Kevin Leveille.
  • Kevin RowenKevin Rowen LAS Editorial Intern SoCal
    Goettelmann is great, but is he really better than Junior or CP? Certainly not better than Gary Gait. Also, someone on Twitter brought up Petro for defensive player. Thoughts?
    Tim is a boss, he simply has just played so many more games. League leader in games played, goals, and game winning goals. That's a GOAT to me. If this is strictly a MLL convo, how does Petro fit? If this is open to college careers your list has to be a bit different.
  • A true GOAT would probably include, at most, 1 current MLL player, and possibly only two MLL guys total. Reason: Jim Brown and Jimmy Lewis.

If you're asking for the four greatest MLL players ever, I'm not sure they'd all be offensive guys. Reasons: Spallina and, of course, DOC.

But I don't like leaving it to only four. I think an all-time MLL team is better and, ultimately, much more fun. Here's my roster:

Goalie (Why do these lists always start with the attack?):
    -Again, the Doc. Though Cattrano is a very, very close second.

Defense:
    -Spallina, Merrill, Zink, with Polanco as a fourth. That's a lot of penalties.

FOGO:
    -I'd take Kelly in a flash if Gurenlian didn't just break the single-season FO percentage record this year. I still take Kelly, but with some careful thought.

Midfield:
    -Striebel, Striebel, Striebel. Also, Colsey and--very tentatively and only because, at his current peak, he's better than any other middies in history besides Striebel and Colsey--Rabil.

Attack:
    -Easy. Casey Powell, Gary Gait, John Grant Jr.
    Kevin RowenLaxAllStarsjoekeegsMichael Allen
  • And @donahueref, Striebel passed Tim as the all-time games leader this season. He's also the only middie in the top ten all-time goals and points lists. Did I mention I'm a huge Striebel fan?
    stickmanlax
    To be honest I don't know if I meant only MLL or not, and it's basically impossible to pick only four guys... but that's what makes it so fun!

@thebuckethelmet your all-time MLL team list is great though, and definitely makes more sense than only picking four guys!
  • Jimmy Lewis is my #1. His brother, John, was my high school coach, so I may be biased, but I've heard too many stories to put anyone else here. Oren Lyons occupies my #2 spot. Gary Gait (hard to really pick Gary over Paul) comes in at #3. Jim Brown is #4. 3 Cuse guys, a Navy great, and no current MLL players... no offense to any of them intended. #Showingmyage
    Content Editor - LaxAllStars.com
    you can reach me through info@lacrosseallstars.com
    Kevin Rowenthebuckethelmet
    Ok so this obviously isn't about the MLL any more so I'm going to go ahead and agree with Brown, Lewis and Mikey Powell had one of, if not THE, greatest college career of all time. I love that no one has said Rabil:) Don't forget the late great William George Beers .
    Mark, Rabil was mentioned in Bucket Helmet's MLL all-time list. Not sure I agree 100%, but he is of course an excellent player.
  • I put Rabil in there only to round out the all-time midfielders section, and I'm still not gung-ho about him. However, I don't think any middie in this attack-driven league's history has garnered as much defensive attention as Rabil does every game. (MLL middies are workhorses more than anything, so his outsized offensive presence is pretty exceptional.) But again, I'm not entirely convinced of myself here.

And @donahueref, Dr. Beers certainly deserves some respect, but he wasn't even the best player of his own fledgling, mutton-chopped lacrosse era. That honor belonged to the countless Native Americans that his codified rules prevented from participating.
    Kevin Rowen
  • @thebuckethelmet @ConnorWilson
    I regularly daydream about top-game Jim Brown playing in the NLL. Crushing domination.
    @thebuckethelmet haha yeah I know, I just threw him in because of Connor's post. Watching Jim Brown play in college, you can barely tell what year it is, he would have fit in seamlessly in today's game. That is a true GOAT, before his time.
    thebuckethelmet
    Last night during The Lacrosse Network's LIVE Hangout with Casey Powell, he said Junior was on his top players ever list with Gary Gait.

Just food for thought... watch the whole thing here:
  • mfreitas12mfreitas12 Weymouth, MA
    Im not arguing here. John Grant Junior is definatly top 4. But I have to group in Paul Rabil with the top 4 also. my top 4 would be John Grant Junior, Paul Rabil, Gary Gait, and im going to have to say Brett Queener.
    Matt Freitas
    GROW THE GAME
    @mfreitas12 Rabil is undoubtedly a great player. But better than Casey Powell? Rabil is certainly more physically imposing but there are few (if any) who play as smoothly as CP.

Also really interesting that you put Queener in there. As a guy who played both attack and goalie, he does bring a lot to the table. I can't say I see him being the best defensive player ever, though.
    Saw this on twitter...a look at two of the best ever, from a purely NLL perspective: John Grant, Junior and Gary Gait.
    BTrqj0LCAAEj99K.jpg-large.jpeg
    577 x 1024 - 94K
  • Mark Matthews, Kyle Hartzell, Brett Queener, and Kyle harrison
    scriff
    edited December 2013
    @wilslax11 that is an interesting list! Definitely great players, but the best ever? Just my opinion, but I think all have comparable players that are better.

Junior and Matthews have similar styles of play, but Junior definitely takes the win there. Hartzell might be the second best LSM right now, but Brodie is the best ever in my opinion, and he's still playing. Queener certainly is electrifying, but is he the best goalie ever? In the MLL, I would feel more comfortable with Kip Turner or Jesse Schwartzman between the pipes. K18 is probably the best non-MLL player, but is he better than Casey Powell, who has played both attack and midfield with extreme success?

Would love to hear the rationale behind your picks! Thanks for sharing!
    Post edited by Kevin Rowen on
  • Kip Turner, Kyle Harrison, Gary Gait, Dave Pietramala
    Kevin RowenNWLaxer206
  • edited December 2013

@wilslax11 that is an interesting list! Definitely great players, but the best ever? Just my opinion, but I think all have comparable players that are better.

Junior and Matthews have similar styles of play, but Junior definitely takes the win there. Hartzell might be the second best LSM right now, but Brodie is the best ever in my opinion, and he's still playing. Queener certainly is electrifying, but is he the best goalie ever? In the MLL, I would feel more comfortable with Kip Turner or Jesse Schwartzman between the pipes. K18 is probably the best non-MLL player, but is he better than Casey Powell, who has played both attack and midfield with extreme success?

Would love to hear the rationale behind your picks! Thanks for sharing!

Mark Matthews did learn from Junior but who created his own move (the toe drag)?
    Also can't have Casey read the discussion starter box.
    But, I do agree with your goalie choices. I just enjoy watching players who surprise you like Queener,Matthews,Hartzell, and Harrison . Once again Hartzell surprised me with that wicked rusty gate. Queener who ran down the field and ran back just in time to save a goal. Matthews who created the toe drag plus a sweet grab and turn around rip against Loyola. Kyle Harrison because of his flair. Don't take this offensively it's a friendly argument :) .
    Post edited by wilslax11 on
    scriffKevin Rowen
  • jackmishjackmish Durham, NC
    John Grant Jr, Casey Powell, Jim Brown, and Brodie Merrill.
    I would put Queener up there but he isn't the best defensive guy out there, definitely up there, but the best is tough, one of the most versatile for sure, being on both sides of GLE. Brodie is one of the best LSMs I can think, but besides him I'm obviously forgetting somebody.
    #stringyourown

Grow the Game
    wilslax11
    @wilslax11 no offense taken here, I love the discussion! I do agree that looking at it from your perspective of "the four most entertaining players to watch" that your list makes a lot of sense.

@jackmish I think your list is pretty hard to beat. If we're putting Jim Brown in, though, my only debate is whether Gary Gait beats out either Casey Powell or Junior. It's a tough call.
  • my list would have all the same people as @KevinRowen except maybe i would put dave petromala instead of brodie merill
    scriffKevin Rowen
  • You can't forget Brendan Mundorf. Seriously that dudes been leading, being a team player, scoring big time, not getting penalties and making defenders scrubs since he started.
  • jackmishjackmish Durham, NC
    @ianwilliams thats true, after watching a lot of MLL highlights from last year I gotta say I'm looking forward even more to seeing him play, might have to reevaluate my list. And @KevinRowen you're right, not sure which but Gait will probably need to edge out Grant or Powell.
    #stringyourown

Grow the Game
  • Gary Gait, Casey Powell, Brodie Merrill, and John Grant Jr. These seem like no brainers, but there is a little method to my madness. All of these players have had success at all levels they played whether it have been High/Prep School, Jr A box lacrosse, NCAA, NLL, MLL, or World Championships. Individual accolades and team championships too. I think a guy like Merrill is a little underrated when you think about how he seamlessly he goes from using a pole on the big field, to a shorty on the rink, just a little food for thought is all.
    scriffKevin Rowen
    @mb84cobb looks like we are on the same page!
    mb84cobb
  • madmax99madmax99 Fort Bragg, NC
    I think that this conversation is pretty much turned into who fills in the fourth slot behind CP22, Junior and Gait. A name that I haven't seen mentioned is John Tavares. I understand it's different because to the best of my knowledge he didn't compete in the MLL or in American college. But lets be real, the man has put in nearly 2,000 points(and counting) in his NLL career, plus just over 900 points in the senior A Canadian league. Oh did I mention he's 45 and still competing and contributing in the NLL. His numbers are astounding and should at least be mentioned among those names mentioned above.
    mb84cobb
  • JT for sure, hes the ageless wonder, and it got me thinking. What about John Grant Sr, annnnd then what about Dallas Eliuk, Bob Watson, maybe a guy like Colin Doyle, and we cant forget Chris Sanderson.
  • While JT's greatness and longevity is undeniable, I have a difficult time naming any pure box guy as one of the best ever. The other guys listed were/are great at all styles of play. I would have to say Gary Gait, Casey Powell, Mark Millon, and John Grant Jr. I know I'm partial to O guys, but I can't help it.