Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

New MLL Playoff Format And Key Dates

edited September 2013 in Major League Lacrosse
Post edited by Jeff Brunelle on

Comments

• conlax14conlax14 Milford, MA
    I'm still in the camp that the MLL needs to move back, not up. They obviously want their rookies to play immediately with a January draft, but they penalize top NCAA players who make a playoff run with missing about 1/4 of the season. Adding the NLL on top of that and it's so frustrating going to an early MLL game and try to figure out who's actually there and playing.
    Kevin Rowen
  • Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID
    The only way I see things working out is to make sure the NLL and MLL don't overlap.The NLL season needs to start at least a month earlier so it can end before the MLL season starts. The huge issue for the MLL is the conflict with the NCAA season ending Memorial Day weekend, which prevents the drafted players from playing an entire season if they make it to the playoffs (and many of them do). I wouldn't mind the MLL season being pushed back and having the championship game played on Labor Day. It would give me something to do on my day off from school. All I know is that I hate diverting my attention between multiple games. I don't watch the NLL once the NCAA season begins and I don't watch the MLL until the NCAA season is over. There just isn't enough time to watch all the games going on at once.
    Kevin Rowen
  • Kevin RowenKevin Rowen LAS Editorial Intern SoCal
    @Rydensaur I completely agree that the BEST solution is that the NLL and the MLL don't overlap. I'd also like to see the MLL start after the college season ends with a Labor Day finish. Unfortunately I'm not sure this will happen anytime soon, and I don't think the NLL and MLL brass are trying to do what's best for everyone, simply what's best for their own leagues. It's tough to blame them, though - if the leagues aren't financially stable then there won't be any professional lacrosse at all.
    Ryan Mulvaney
  • Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID
    @krowen It's funny you mention they're doing what's best for their leagues because they are doing the complete opposite. With many players playing for the MLL and NLL you're making guys choose between which league they want to play in more and in the end they might be losing a player. If they want to make the most money possible they wouldn't try to compete with each other for viewers and big name players. It's a very basic business practice. Hopefully someone will realize this sooner rather than later.
    Kevin Rowen