Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

Important Skills that are looked over?

What skills do you think are looked over in the game or even discriminated against that are potentially very important or even very vital? Playing crease this year I think a shot or pass behind the back or cross-hand is very important to know, it can generate goals or at least shots.

I saw this video on TLN and I thought about adding any other variables goalies and defensemen might not expect to my game.

Comments

• A true quick stick, ball in and out in one fluid motion. moving or holding a goalie with your eyes.
    Kevin Rowenjackmishscriff
  • Kevin RowenKevin Rowen LAS Editorial Intern SoCal
    I think you're totally right when you said that "cross-hand" (i.e., "Canadian righty/lefty) is an important skill that is overlooked in the US. In high school our coach discouraged it, but our crease man did it successfully many times. It not only allows you to play with our dominant hand more, but if a bad pass comes in you can still quick stick.

Behind the back is interesting because it is also seen as more of a "trick" or fancy in the US. I think it isn't as vital as being able to use Canadian righty/lefty but it does at another aspect to one's game that makes them that much better (just look at Casey Powell's assist to Rubeor during MLL Champ Weekend a few weeks ago).
    jackmishscearley
  • Fewer and fewer goalies I've seen are taught the importance of correct technique these days. By "technique," I mean an effective stance, sound hand positioning, the arc, and correct saving form. There seems to be a growing school of thought that says good goalies shouldn't be coached--the "don't mess with success" effect. That's utterly ridiculous.

Obviously there are some unorthodox goalies who, for whatever reason, aren't bound by the conventional laws of physics, but such keepers are one in a million. There are also elite college goalies who deviate from the textbook goalie manual in smaller ways--a ridiculously wide hand position, say--but these changes have evolved from years of those players' experiences in finding what best works for them.

Every keeper should strive to find "their" style, but you can't do that without first getting the fundamentals down pat. So to any and all younger goalies, I'd say this:

Don't think that your work is done just because you can save everything (for now). You can always become better, and there will always be a better goalie that you can learn from. Refine that "athletic position." Find the most efficient movement towards the ball and make it second-nature. "Walk the line" until normal walking feels goofy, and step around the arc until you can do it blindfolded. And eye-thumb-ball, eye-thumb-ball, eye-thumb-ball.

Eye-thumb-ball.
    jackmishMichael Allen
  • jackmishjackmish Durham, NC
    edited September 2013
    @krowen I agree, I originally disliked the idea of behind-the-back, I thought it was just a way to show off, but watching a lot of MLL and the LXM Pro tour this summer I realized its an important skill somewhat for passing and shooting inside. My coach talks about Canadian lacrosse play styles a lot since he played Pro Box lacrosse for Detroit back in the day and played some Canadian teams once in awhile. Since my size isn't a part of my game that I can increase as quickly as I can my stick skills on the wall I spend as much time as possible, while lifting will help me, patience will help with lifting, not as much with wallball.
    Post edited by jackmish on
    Michael Allen
  • Kevin RowenKevin Rowen LAS Editorial Intern SoCal
    @jackmish BTB is something that I wish was taught to me as a young player. However, it is important to appropriately introduce it as something that is to be used only when necessary, and not to be flashy. That difficulty is probably why it isn't taught to young American players - coaches are worried that their guys will start throwing BTBs at inappropriate times in games.
  • @krowen yeah, I've taken shots BTB in games only when necessary because I lost my angle to shoot. If you know of a video or anything like that about the proper mechanics of it, I'd love to learn better so I can pass and shoot BTB with both hands.
    Kevin Rowen
  • Ryan MulvaneyRyan Mulvaney Supreme Overlord Caldwell, ID
    @jackmish TLN did a great weekly video series dedicated to wall ball. It was called Wall Ball Wednesday. I used it to build my wall ball routine over summer. Make sure to check out all the videos because every single one is gold.

jackmishKevin Rowenjustalaxbrothestringer7