Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Week's Leaders

Members of LaxAllStars.com now receive 15% off at COMLAX.COM!

Lacrosse has become too fun - David Lisi

Mark DonahueMark Donahue Video King!Boise, ID
"I have a theory that has been brewing for some time. It involves the current lacrosse culture.

I believe lacrosse has become too fun. I know kids are supposed to enjoy sports and "it's just a game" etc.... however, sports to me are about competing; becoming the absolute best you can be and testing yourself in a hard fought game setting.

Sports, and specifically lacrosse, are so much more enjoyable when you have a solid base of fundamentals, are well coached and play extremely hard.

There is a difference between having fun (fooling around) and getting satisfaction out of competing.

We live in a time of inclusiveness and equality, but isn't it fun to set yourself apart?

Isn't it fun to be a highly skilled and accomplished player?

Fun comes from hard work, a level of seriousness, focus and dedication. It is a lot more fun to work toward accomplishing a high level of skill than it is to play just to say you play.

If you call yourself an athlete and a lacrosse player, you should strive for perfection and to be a gritty hard working player, not someone who just steps on the field to be cool.

Cool is hard work. Cool is dedication. Cool is nasty skills. Cool is testing yourself against someone better than you and succeeding. Cool is a relentless pursuit of perfection. Cool is confidence knowing you've gone against someone better than you and came out on top- if only for a moment: winning a ground ball, taking the ball away, forcing a turnover, scoring against a tough d man...

So to me, fun comes from the little things, the little victories. They all add up to much more than the fun of just being a participant.

Coaches, please do not cheat your players by allowing them to act like fools. Challenge them, give them opportunities to succeed as well as fail. They will remember you because you didn't let them just get by with being a bro. You let them become who they are supposed to be with the accumulation of little wins, little moments of satisfaction that will last a lifetime.

Go out and make great players and people. They will be passionate about the sport and will dedicate themselves to being awesome players."

-David Lisi
Wheeling Jesuit
Kentucky Stickhorses
Tanner Jobscriffbg0313Jeff Brunelle

Comments

• I completely agree, people who work the hardest they can, are the people I respect most. I worked my butt of this summer and am continuing to do so this fall, and at first it was hard. But not only did I want to start, not only did I want to be cool because of it, I wanted to make an impact on the field. This is my mindset every time I have a stick in my hands, am in the weight-room, or on the track.

My coach said in our last team meeting to watch out for me, that I, a sophomore, was an example of who you should be. Now practicing is more fun than it ever was before, and it was already fun as hell. All the work paid off.

If you are where I was before that meeting, or before last summer, wondering if all the time, constant tiredness, and possibility of it not working out would pay off, stop wondering. Stay hard at it or begin as soon as you can, eventually someone will notice it and then they will follow suit. Not only you, but your team will improve. No amount of natural ability beats hard work. Maybe it might tomorrow, but not next month, and certainly not next year will it win out.
    Mark Donahue
  • Kevin RowenKevin Rowen LAS Editorial Intern SoCal

"Cool is hard work. Cool is dedication. Cool is nasty skills. Cool is testing yourself against someone better than you and succeeding. Cool is a relentless pursuit of perfection. Cool is confidence knowing you've gone against someone better than you and came out on top- if only for a moment: winning a ground ball, taking the ball away, forcing a turnover, scoring against a tough d man...

So to me, fun comes from the little things, the little victories. They all add up to much more than the fun of just being a participant.

Coaches, please do not cheat your players by allowing them to act like fools. Challenge them, give them opportunities to succeed as well as fail. They will remember you because you didn't let them just get by with being a bro. You let them become who they are supposed to be with the accumulation of little wins, little moments of satisfaction that will last a lifetime.

Go out and make great players and people. They will be passionate about the sport and will dedicate themselves to being awesome players."

-David Lisi
    Wheeling Jesuit
    Kentucky Stickhorses

The whole "lacrosse is too fun" line catches your attention, but the real message lies in these last few paragraphs. Cool is making "great players and people.
    bg0313jackmishMark Donahue